Saturday, 28 September 2013

Baby Quilt

Hi there.  Well, I hope everyone will forgive me for deviating from card making into the realms of sewing today.

Just under three years ago I started this quilt with a certain small recipient in mind thinking that it would only take me a short while to make it as I had chosen something fairly straightforward.  A lovely friend, also called Pat, who is a very experienced  quilter, got me started, and I fully intended to have it done within a few weeks.  Unfortunately it proved a lot harder than I thought and it ended up being left in the bag until a few months ago when, after talking about quilting to someone else, I decided it was high time I finished it.  I got as far as the binding and with some further help from friend Pat it is finally finished.


Understandably the child who was to receive it is now not in need of a cot quilt and as a local community hospital is having a fete today, I decided to donate it to the raffle amd hopefully some other family will enjoy using it.

I only finished it yesterday and haven't had much time to enjoy the fruits of my labour, so I thought I would put it on here as a permanent reminder.

Wednesday, 25 September 2013

Georgian Lady

I thought today I would show you a card made from a stamp which came free with Craft Stamper .  It is a smaller version of a stamp made by Indigoblu.  The larger version can be found here.  The stamp is only about 2" square, but I think this illustrates how it is possible to fill a 6" card with just one stamp.

I stamped randomly round the edge of the white card with just the right hand edge of the stamp using a Versamark pad and then heat embossed with WOW Silver EP.  I then stamped the whole image on a piece of white card about  3" square using the same technique.  In order to get the embossed design around the main image I used some pencil lines to indicate where the topper would be placed on the card and then just inside of the marks stamped and heat embossed the right hand portion of the stamp around the square just overlapping a bit to get a continuous design and then mounted the image over it.  It was a bit fiddly to do but I think it works quite well.
Lastly I used two colours of Pan Pastel - Phthalo Green Tint and Red Oxide Tint to add a gentle colour to the background and main image, and then just added a small Anita's butterfly and sentiment.  Thank you so much for looking.

Monday, 23 September 2013

Vintage Flowers

Hi there.  Today's card is one I've made to enter the Simon Says Monday Challenge which is to stamp on
anything other than plain paper.

For this card I used:

Kraft Card
Adirondack Dye Ink Espresso, Cranberry, Bottle, Sunshine Yellow
Freebies:  Stencil, patterned paper
Cuttlebug Embossing Folder "Script"
Sheena Douglass Stamp "Fantasy Floral - Violet"
Chocolate Baroque Sentiment
Pastel Ribbon

I decided in order to get a vintage feel I would use the Kraft card.  I found a nice patterned paper which came free with a magazine ages ago and used part of the stencil, also from a magazine, to highlight round the edges of the paper using the Espresso Adirondack.  I used the Cuttlebug Script Embossing Folder towards the right hand side of the paper and then blended Espresso ink all round the edges using a blending tool and mounted this on the Kraft Card.
For the topper I used Espresso ink to stamp the violet but decided to change the colour of the flower from the normal purple colour to match in with the flowers on the paper for which I used the Cranberry, Bottle and Sunshine Yellow inks with a water brush.  This was also mounted on Kraft card.  The sentiment and the ribbon were stamped using Espresso ink, but unfortunately the ink on the ribbon smudged rather so the word "Joy" from the sentiment is not really legible but I think that perhaps it was a happy accident and adds to the vintage feel of the card.  Anyway, I hope you like it and will come back for a look another day.                                  


Wednesday, 18 September 2013

A Little Bit Floral - Lily

Today's card, as the title suggests, uses a floral set of stamps by Sheena Douglass and I am intending to enter it in the September Crafters Companion Challenge "Embossing Inspiration".

 I decided to go for a nice bright pink with the black for a good contrast.  On the black background I used the Cuttlebug embossing folder " Divine Swirls" in two opposite corners, and a large Nellie's corner die cut four times from black card to frame the pink topper.  The flowers and leaves were embossed with WOW gold EP and coloured with Cranberry, Sunshine Yellow and Lettuce Adirondack dye ink using a water brush.  This was mounted onto a white card roughly 6" square.  Thank you for stopping to take a look today.   

Wednesday, 11 September 2013

Opening Gambit

Hi Everyone, well here goes with my first blog post.  I thought the title was very apt as I made this card fairly recently for my husband's birthday using stamps with a chess theme from Chocolate Baroque
The background was made using the acrylic block technique with  Memento dye inks Sweet Plum, Teal Zeal and London Fog.  I randomly stamped part of one of the stamps with the chess board in Memento Tuxedo Black and mounted this on black card.
The main image was stamped with WOW white EP and framed with a die cut from silver mirri card.  The four small chess pieces were stamped with WOW silver EP and then coloured with Teal Zeal and London Fog ink using a water brush.  The two larger chess pieces were embossed with the white EP and frame the front of the card nicely.  This was quite an involved card for me but I was pleased with the result.  I hope you like it too.