Pages

Tuesday 25 July 2017

Acetate and Tissue Butterfly

I am enjoying the challenge of using tissue paper and today I've tried something which is new to me, using tissue paper with an acetate overlay which facilitates die cutting the piece.  I used a butterfly die which I have had for quite a while which is by Marianne Designs, and also a freebie embossing folder which I thought would show it off nicely.


I started by making the tissue paper and acetate piece for the butterfly.  I used Distress Inks on my glass mat in the right sized area to cover my piece of tissue paper using Picked Raspberry, Spiced Marmalade, Festive Berries and Shaded Lilac.  I spritzed fairly lightly with water and then laid my tissue over it to soak it up, and very carefully lifted it on to a piece of copy paper to dry.  I did speed up the process with my heat tool.  I then respritzed what was left on the glass mat and did it again, and once dried it looked about right so I went on to the next step.  I decided to back the tissue with some thin copy paper so I scrunched it up to get some texture and then adhere it to the copy paper with PVA glue.  I decided to use gold on the crinkles so ran my Versamark Ink over the top and added WOW Metallic Gold Embossing Powder and heat set it.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to show up in the photos very well, but in real life it shimmers really well.  

Next I found some fairly thin acetate which I had lying about, I think this technique works better with thinner acetate, and I adhered it to the tissue paper with the PVA glue which dries clear.  I applied the glue with a piece of blending foam to get a smooth even finish.   Once it was completely dry I die cut the butterfly.  I have to say that even with the thinner acetate this did take quite a few turns through the machine before I could remove the pieces and I did have to use some small scissors to finish the job where it refused to completely cut, but in the end it worked as luckily all the pieces which needed to come out were fairly large.  Maybe one of the newer die cutting machines with better pressure would cut it more easily than my old Grand Calibur.

I then used the freebie folder for the embossed background and I am very pleased with the result, even though it did take a little time to achieve.  The white blank base card is approximately 6" square.

I'm afraid I have only just made the Loll and Bonnie's two challenges as they close in just a few hours.  I did intend to put this up yesterday morning but got so busy I have only just got around to doing so.  This technique is something new to me and using one of the listed techniques that they very kindly sourced for inspiration, I really wanted to enter it in the challenge, so please forgive me for being so last minute.  

Thank you for joining me here today and I hope to see you again soon.







I am entering the following challenges:

CAS Watercolour July Challenge - Butterfly.  (So thrilled to be chosen as one of the Outstanding Designs)                      
CAS Mix Up July Challenge - Stamping, Tissue Paper and Own Choice (I have used dry embossing).
Country View July Challenge - Things with Wings.

18 comments:

Cathy said...

This butterfly is a stunner Pat, love the colours and the folder you've used looks like it was made to frame it! Cathy x

Christine Alexander said...

So glad you got to enter the challenge, sometimes life just gets in the way of having fun crafting :). your butterfly is so pretty, love the colours and the effect of adhering the tissue to the acetate.
Thanks for joining us at CAS Watercolour and glad we didn't miss your card.

Loll said...

Your butterfly is gorgeous, Pat!! LOVE those colours! And it looks amazing on the textured white background. So happy you gave the tissue paper watercolouring a try. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up and CAS Watercolour! xx

Flo Langley said...

Beautiful card Pat. The butterfly looks stunning on the white background.
Flo x

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

You try the coolest techniques Pat my friend! A Stunning card, perfect for the challenge . . . late or not, I'm sure Loll and Bonnie will think it worth the wait! Thank you for your constant support and sweet comments on my blog whilst I'm away, it means so much! Have a great week my friend! Love & Hugs. Hazel xx
My Card Attic

nancy littrell said...

So pleased you had time to enter your gorgeous acetate tissue paper butterfly card, Pat. Beautiful texture for your embossed background too. TFS and joining us at CAS Mix Up. Hugs...

nancy littrell said...

P.S. Pat...I forgot to mention...thank you for joining us at CAS Watercolour butterfly challenge too :-) Hugs..

Bonnie said...

This butterfly is gorgeous, Pat! Love that embossed frame too! It's perfect! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at CAS Mix Up and CAS Watercolour!

cuilliesocks said...

Well this is just stunning Pat, gorgeous butterfly and lovely embossed background, certainly a new technique for me, love it, Kate x

Mac Mable said...

Yes I am enjoying this technique too...it's so effective, as you've shown in this gorgeous card. Love how the dry embossing on the background frames that really pretty butterfly. The colours on your butterfly are so very pretty. Thanks for the information about die cutting the acetate...haven't tried that x

Julia Aston said...

Your acetate tissue butterfly is gorgeous on this beautiful CAS card Pat! Thanks for joining us in the CAS Mix Up Challenge! Julia xx

TaeEun said...

This is really gorgeous, Pat! Tissue paper technique is new to me too! I wanted to join, but missed the challenge... Your butterfly is so beautiful and the dry embossed panel is perfect for that elegant butterfly!

Sue said...

This is gorgeous Pat, so pretty and delicate, I LOVE your butterfly.
Thank you so much for sharing with us at Country View Crafts, and have a fun week. Sue xx

Darnell said...

I'm glad you made it into the challenges with your stunning tissue and acetate butterfly card, Pat! Beautiful embossing, too! I have done the tissue technique, but not the secondary step of acetate so thank you for the reminder about this part of Loll's tutorial!! Hugs, Darnell

Evelyn Walter said...

What a stunning card Pat! Your butterfly is amazing.
Thank you for joining in with our challenge at Country View Challenges!
xx Evelyn

Mac Mable said...

Congratulations on the shout out with CAS watercolour challenge...I absolutely loved this card...very special x

Liz said...

Stunning card, Pat. The white embossed background is perfect for your gorgeous butterfly. xx

Karen Dunbrook said...

gorgeous card....love how you added the embossed framing around it!!