Pages

Thursday 14 November 2019

Chess Art

Hi everyone.  I love this chess image from Aall and Create and I decided to use it to make a card for the CAS Watercolour November Challenge, and especially as this is the last one until the new year.  I also used a Dutch Doobadoo stencil called Blocks.  The challenge this time is monochromatic and white and black stamping/embossing are also allowed.


I started with some Salty Ocean Distress Ink and laid it down, spritzed with water and dragged the card through it to fairly well cover it.  I then dry embossed the stencil by running it through my die cutting machine.  There are lots of tips on line of the best ways to get a good emboss, and I have chosen one from You Tube for you to look at if  you wish.  It is about 10 minutes long made by MFT which was the most recent one I could find, but you'll get the idea after the first few minutes if you don't want to watch the whole thing, just to say that a lot of the videos suggest using shims, but I found that the result was fine with a rubber/silicone mat.  I then placed the stencil over the raised pattern and blended some Blueprint Sketch over the top to pick up the raised pattern.  In the photo the dimension doesn't show but I think it just adds to the overall look rather than just putting the ink straight on to the card.

I then inked up the chess stamp with Versafine Clair Nocturne ink, my current favourite black ink, and stamped it in my Misti because I knew that I might need to stamp it more than once to get a good impression over the raised pattern.  Luckily it worked well.

I finished by cutting this with a square stitched die and added the sentiment also using my black ink, again stamping using the Misti.  I then heat embossed with the Clear Gloss EP.

Thank you for coming to look at the blog today and I'll see you again soon.






I am also entering the following challenges:

The Male Room Challenge No. 124 Hobbies. (Thrilled to be chosen the winner of this challenge)
Addicted to Stamps and More Challenge - No 367 Make Your Mark.
Country View November Challenge - Hand Stamped.

*I was so pleased to be picked as one of the Outstanding Designs over at CAS Watercolour.

18 comments:

Liz said...

Beautiful card, Pat. The lovely stencilled and embossed background is perfect for your super stamped image. xx

Bonnie said...

Love this background, Pat! The embossing of the stencil lends an element of texture and the stenciled color adds depth! A beautiful background for this awesome stamped design! Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Watercolour!

Darnell said...

That stencil is superb behind the sketched chess image, Pat! A cool birthday design for either gender!! Hugs, Darnell

Christine Alexander said...

Pat, that stamp has been on my wish list for a long time, I might just have to splurge and get it. This is such a great masculine card with your stencil monoprint background :)

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Oh! this is just wonderful and chess is one I nearly made myself LOL. A fabulous stamp and beautifully used. Thank you so much for joining us in our Hobbbies challenge at The Male Room this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.

Faith The Male Room DT

Monika Skinner said...

Beautiful card, Pat! Love the chess image, it's perfect or your stenciled background. Thanks so much for playing along at The Male Room Craft Challenge. Good Luck!

Vicky Hayes said...

This is a work of art Pat! I love the background and the way the chess image almost seems to merge into it.

I have a question for you: Do you always stamp with your MISTI? Or only when you feel the image may need another go to get a good impression? I'm doing some research into stamping platforms with the intention of buying one in the new year so I'm interested in people's experience of using them.

My Paper Epiphany said...

Lovely shades of blue! Beautiful Monochrome card and the embossing adds even more interest! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Watercolour!

Ros Crawford said...

What a wonderful background Pat... I love the colours and the dimension and the stamp sits perfectly against the blue!

Lyn Bernatovich said...

Loving the background and grounding it with the black stamped image. Super guy card!

Viv said...

Fabulous card Pat!

Loll said...

Your background is fabulous, Pat! Love the soft blue background with the dry embossing and added colour on top. The tiles add a lot of depth to the card. Your chess image is also fantastic. Perfect masculine card (or feminine). Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Watercolour! xx

Marjan said...

Wopw, such a beautiful card!! Wonderful combination of background and stamp!

Mac Mable said...

What a fantastic masculine looking card with a wonderful background and the stomping of the chess pieces looks wonderful x. Such a striking card Pat x.

Wei said...

Such a fabulous design with the background. Thanks for playing along with us at The Male Room. Looking forward to seeing your creative projects in the future galleries again.

Kathyk said...

Congratulations on this fabulous card and well deserving top pick at CAS watercolours too

Kathyk

Teresa said...

Thankyou for joining in the hand stamped challenge at CVC. Good luck and hope to see you again. Teresa DT

Kathyk said...

Back again to say Congratulations on your win over at the Male Room with this lovely card too

Happy Wednesday

Kathyk