Pages

Sunday 25 December 2022

Snowy Cabin by the Lake

Hi there.  I have a Christmas card for our son in Australia, which I sent him on the 25th November and he received it on the 21st December, which is an improvement on last year as he never received it at all. I love the scene with the trees and cabin, by Stampscape called Nature Sheet 6, and it comes with a few images which you can mix and match.  I just used the cabin being used for the first time, and the larger trees which I used on this card here.


I did some work with Brushos and had some left over in Sea Green mixed with water on my glass mat, so I picked it up on to a piece of card and put it aside.  I suddenly spotted it and decided that it would make a good base to start building a scene.  So I added the cabin image, and then some trees to the foreground on either side of it using Versafine Olympia Green ink.  I then decided to make it night time, so I darkened around the edges using Pine Needles and then Chipped Sapphire Distress Inks using a brush to blend them, and I added some White Brilliance Ink around the cabin and also some Fosselized Amber DI, and then some white gel pen on the roof of the cabin and on the stones in front of it.  I also added some brown to the cabin and some yellow and orange for light coming through the windows using my Inktense Pencils, and then spattered some white gesso which was a partial success but I finished by adding some more dots with the gel pen which could be stars as well as falling snow, and then decided to stop as I'm always afraid of overdoing it and spoiling the effect.  I added it to a 7" x 5" white card and then finished with the sentiment also using the Olympia Ink and heat embossed with WOW Clear Gloss Embossing Powder.

I hope that you have an enjoyable Christmas and a happy and creative 2023.  I would like to thank all of you that visit including those that leave me comments as well as those that just take a look from time to time, as it really does make doing this worthwhile, and I hope you will continue to visit throughout the coming year.  

I will see you again soon as I will have one more card to post here before I set Christmas aside for at least a few weeks. 






I am entering the following challenges:

NBUS Challenge - No. 45 Where we use our Never Before Used Schtuff.
Stamping Sensations Challenge - December - Anything Stamped/Winter Wonderland.
Happy Little Stampers December Christmas Challenge - Anything Goes/Stencil.
Happy Little Stampers December Watercolour Challenge - Anything Goes.
Country View Challenges - December - Christmas.


15 comments:

Aquarius said...

This is such a beautiful scene and interesting to read how it was achieved. Pleased to hear that it arrived at its destination. I don't think all cards posted this year are reaching the recipients in time for the big day. Have a great Christmas and look forward to seeing more of your lovely work in the coming year. xx

Jeanne H said...

A truly beautiful card. tfs Merry Christmas.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

What a really beautiful scene, this would have been a tragedy to have been lost. SO happy to hear he had it to appreciate your gorgeous work Pat.
Happy New Year.

TK said...

Absolutely gorgeous! What a darling scene, such serenity and peace -- just what the doctor ordered for this season. Thank you for sharing at NBUS

Christine Alexander said...

absolutely gorgeous, love your lake scene and the cabin. I've had my eye on some of the stampscapes stamps :)
I hope you had a Merry Christmas xx

brenda said...

A lovely scene for your Son Pat, many thanks for sharing with us at Stamping Sensations challenge.

B x

LesleyG said...

I just love this scene, the cabin looks so warm and inviting xxx

Darnell said...

Building scenes like this are terrifying for me, Pat, so I'm fascinated by card artists who can create beautiful landscapes like you've done here! It was interesting to read how your scrap background was built to make it perfect for the cabin and I think you stopped when the colors and lighting were just right. Thank you for inspiring everyone at NBUS! Happy New Year! Hugs, Darnell

Loll said...

STUNNING card you made for your son, Pat. This is one gorgeous scene. I have a few Stampscapes cards and am always happy when I pull them out ... they create lovely cards. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Love, Loll

The Dream Pages said...

Wow.. thats gorgeous,,,
Thank you for joining us at HLS water colour challenge for this month, Stay safe and stay crafty.. Hope to see you inour next month challenge
DT Swapna

Alyson Mayo said...

This is simply stunning - the detail is remarkable! Thanks for sharing with us at HLS Christmas :)

Liz said...

Absolutely stunning scene Pat, so tranquil and atmospheric. xx

rachel said...

A lovely card -- I imagine it would be a true winter wonderland to be there! thanks for entering our Christmas Challenge at Countryview Challenges and good luck in the draw! Hugs rachel x

foleysfriend said...

What an amazing scene you created on your card. It's so lovely and I can imagine spending Christmas in that little cabin with a roaring fire and reading a good book. Great job. Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers ~ Christmas Challenge.

sue n.

Karen Dunbrook said...

love it!
x Karen