Pages

Wednesday 28 February 2024

Masked Stencilling - Group of Seven Cardmakers

Hi everybody.  I am privileged to have been asked to be a Guest Designer over at the Group of Seven for this month and the technique this time is Masked Stencilling.  I cut a heart shape for the mask using a die from a set by Sweet Dixie, and a couple of different heart stencils from a set which came from The Range a few years ago and made by Craft Sensations.


I started with the background colour within the heart and decided on a combination of Distress Inks - Picked Raspberry, Peacock Feathers and Twisted Citron.  I applied the ink with a blending brush having first masked off a wavy shape down the right side which I tore myself, and using the same inks to apply the first heart stencil adding the corresponding ink in that portion of the heart.  I then took away the shaped piece and added some more of the three colours down the rest of the right hand portion of the heart, then replaced the mask using the other end of the piece I tore the mask from so that it matched up when placing over the left side.  I then added the second heart stencil again with the corresponding ink colour over each of the three coloured areas of the narrower piece on the right.  I then added some tiny white hearts around the background which I had saved from some previous die cutting, I think it was probably a Sue Wilson die which I have and it has lots of different sized hearts within the large heart but I just used the smaller ones.  It looks a bit like embossing and I think it just adds a bit more interest to the background.  I finished the card by adding a sentiment strip with the anniversary sentiment stamped using Versafine Clair Notcturne ink, and heat embossed with WOW Clear Gloss Embossing Powder, and backed it with some foam tape for more dimension.  The card is a little less than 6" square.

I hope you go and visit the Group of Seven who are a lovely group of very talented people, and there are lots of links featuring previous techniques to take a look at for even more creative inspiration.  There is also a link at the bottom of the post where you can add any cards you make using the Masked Stencilling technique.    






I am entering the following challenges:

Stencil Fun Challenge - Feb. 24 Anything Goes/Love/Hearts.
Allsorts Challenge - Week 769 Anything Goes/Things That Fly.
Simon Says Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes.

20 comments:

Julia Aston said...

What a great example of the Masked Stenciling Technique Pat! Love how you used the two different sized heart stencils and blended the colors over your masked piece. Cute little cut hearts added in white - at first I thought it was embossed - that's a lot of gluing! I always hate to throw out bits left from die cuts - so nice you saved them! Thanks for joining the GO7 as GDT this month! I enjoyed working with your technique! Julia xx

Loll said...

Beautiful card Pat!! I LOVE how you've double masked the heart ... the basic shape and then again with the tear. The colours are so pretty and I love the lovely texture from your added hearts in the background. Thanks so much for the inspiraiton of this fabulous technique and also for your beautiful cards. We loved having you as Guest Designer this month. Loll xx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

WOW! This is gorgeous, what a wonderful technique. Love the colours, the hearts, and your fabulous card. x

I Card Everyone said...

Pat, I love all of your sweet little hearts - embossed, or stenciled using this fun technique!
=]

HilaryJane said...

Congrats on your GD spot. Your card is fabulous. I love the effect from your mask, it really adds interest to the heart, which is enhanced by the different sized heart stencils. Great work. Thanks for the inspiration xx

Christine Alexander said...

I love your combination of masking and stenciling and adding such pretty colours. Thanks for providing us a fun technique to play with at GOS xx

Liz said...

Gorgeous anniversary card, Pat. Your heart is beautiful with all the different colours you've used. Clever idea to use the small die cut hearts on the background.
Liz xx

Darnell said...

It's such a pleasure having you as our guest this month, Pat! This technique was a ton of fun and I love how you laid out the process and shared your cool examples of it here and on the Go7 blog! Hugs, Darnell

Aquarius said...

Congratulations on being a guest designer for the Group of Seven - love keeping up with what they make. Great work with this technique

Kath said...

A fabulous card Pat - I love your heart and the lovely colours you've used.
Kath x

Bonnie said...

Hi Pat. Thank you so much for your inspiration with this technique. I loved your first card using the technique and you heart with the little stenciled hearts inside and other stenciling is equally as fantastic! I'm so glad you could join us as a guest this month!

Aimeslee Winans said...

A very interesting masking! Congrats on your guest host gig, xoxo

Liz said...

Popping back to say thank you for sharing your beautiful card in the Allsorts Challenge this week.
Liz xx

Sarn said...

First, congrats on your guest spot at Group of Seven Cardmakers.

Second - what a smashing card you’ve made using the masked stencilling technique, which I haven’t come across before. Will definitely give it a go though!

Absolutely love this card. Xxx

Marjan said...

The effect is lovely!! I love the pretty look of the card and the colours you used. The small embossed hearts are a nice detail!
How nice to have been asked as guestdesigner!

Rainey's Craft Room said...

I love the pretty colours on the heart, a sweet card. Thanks for sharing at Allsorts this week.
Lorraine

Mervi said...

Fabulous use of stencil, lovely card!
Thank you for sharing at Allsorts;-))m

Diane said...

Beautiful and creative stenciled heart!!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Stencil Fun!
Diane SF Co-Owner
{Nellies Nest}
{Stencil Fun}

Susan said...

Thanks so much, Pat, for inspiring the technique we used this month at Group of Seven! I really enjoyed making mine! It's great to have you as our Guest Designer. I love the way you masked with a heart shae and then stencilled tiny hearts inside it - beautiful colours on all that stencilling! I also love the addition of the tiny white hearts around it.

Heather said...

This is so pretty, Pat, I like the three sizes of hearts and the colours you chose are lovely together.