I am entering the following challenges with the above card:
Allsorts Challenge - No 850 Anything Goes. (Congratulations to them on their 17th Birthday).
Simon Says Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes.
Die Cut Divas Challenge - May '26 Celebrations (mine is Birthday).
Using a pencil I marked where I wanted the horizon and the river bank on the left, and I started with the lighter colour of blue rubbing the pad fairly lightly to start off with over the sky and then leaving a gap for the background green rubbed a bit more in the foreground leaving the green area on the left, and then continued the blue right to the bottom. I then added in the green on the horizon and the bank on the left, and to finish I used the stamps with the Peeled Paint to added some texture to the bank and also to added the foreground foliage and I finished by adding the heron right at the front and used a Black Micron pen to add the birds in the sky and Archival Black ink for the sentiment and heat embossed with WOW Clear Gloss Embossing Powder. I left the sky quite light and patchy to look like clouds and I used the ink pads on their edges a lot to keep the ink more or less where I wanted it.
The coating of white gesso on the card was something I read recently, not sure where, but it did say that it makes the ink easier to move about and I did use my fingers to rub the ink to additionally smooth it out. The only thing was that it took a long time to dry even with a heat tool and did tend to rub off a bit but seems OK now. I tried to use Versafine Clair Nocturne to stamp the sentiment which started to bleed and smudge a bit so I switched to the Archival which worked much better...obviously something to do with it reacting to the gesso I presume, and luckily I did use my stamp positioner so I could go over it otherwise I would have had to make a sentiment plate to cover it. Overall I was pleased that I managed to achieve a reasonable finished result although it does look quite fuzzy and has a loose look but I like the contrast it gives to the pencil coloured heron.
I made this second card which is more the way you would expect to see it done, using a Spellbinders 3D embossing folder called Amaryllis Garden and inked with Adirondack inks in Pink Sherbert and Cranberry which I hardly ever use so thought it would be good to get them out.
I am entering the following challenges with the above card:
Can You Handle the Pressure Challenge - May '26 Anything Goes/Embellishments.
Beautiful Blossoms Challenge - May '26 Anything Goes/Mood Board.
AAA Birthday Challenge - No. 85 Anything Goes (Congratulations on your 7th Birthday).
I cut the card to fit a 6" square card and inked it with the Pink Sherbert ink and embossed it and then ran the Cranberry ink pad across the raised areas to bring out the pretty flowers. I think maybe a lighter red would have looked better as having to go over the embossing quite a few times has made it a bit dark and dense. I finished it with a birthday sentiment which I cut from white card twice and then inked the letters in the Pink Sherbert to add over the shadow layer. Maybe a lighter red would have been better, as having to go over it quite a few times has made it a bit dark and dense.
There are lots of other ways to use this direct to paper technique and over at the blog you will find a video and the other ladies have made some brilliant cards showing different ways to use it, and if you do create something there is a Linky which you can use so we can all enjoy seeing what you make. Thank you for visiting me here today and I'll see you again soon.



15 comments:
Two amazing examples of how to use the direct to paper inking, Pat!! I LOVE your landscape. It's amazing how you achieved a watercoloured look with light coloured ink. Maybe the gesso also muted the colour a bit ... either way, it looks AMAZING! That heron is gorgeous, and adding details with coloured pencils worked perfectly to show him off. Your second card is a technique I've done before, but never even associated it to direct to paper inking (which, of course it is!). :) Beautiful way to colour this pretty folder. xx
Yes, you're right Loll, the gesso did mute the colours but without I think I would have had much more trouble getting them to blend the way they did, especially for a landscape. I didn't have high hopes that it would work but you don't know until you try..lol. x
your Herron card is gorgeous, you created such a beautiful scene and your embossed image really pops with the ink on the raised areas. Two great cards xx
A great technique and two beautiful but quite different cards. Love the natural look of the scenic one and the embossing folder card is also impressive. Thank you for coming along to celebrate our special birthday at Allsorts.
A beautiful embossed card and I like it that you coloured the flowers with a matching colour.
Lia DT CYHTP
Many thanks for joining our Birthday celebrations at Allsorts challenge.
B x
Wow what a beautiful serene scene!! Thanks for playing along our May challenge at Die Cut Divas.
Great use of those pinks on that fabulous embossing folder. Thanks for joining in with AAA Birthday's 7th birthday celebrations. Hope to see you play along with future challenges too. Stay safe and keep crafting!
A gorgeous card, love how this scene turned out! Thank you so much for joining us for our 17th birthday celebration at Allsorts challenge!
Two super cards using this technique, Pat. I love the tranquil scene you’ve created on your first card. The colours on your second card are just beautiful.
Liz xx
WOW, both cards are beautiful, the first one like a watercolor painting and the second one a joy for the eyes. So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas this month.
Two fabulous cards Pat, well done with this technique. The heron on the lake is just wonderful and your embossed flowers look gorgeous
Your scenic card is amazing. It looks like a painting. Thanks for sharing with us at Allsorts 17th birthday celebrations challenge. Your second card is so pretty with a lovely combo of colours.
A stunning result Pat, love the colour mix. x
I forgot to say, your Heron looking out onto the landscape is almost like a photo, a fabulous card. x
Post a Comment