Hi there all. Hope you had a good weekend Here at the start of another week things have not been going so well on the card making front! I made this birthday card, as usual a bit at the last minute, and it wasn't really going well. This morning on inspecting it again I decided the edge was not straight so tried to lift it enough to get a pair of scissors underneath it. BIG MISTAKE! This usually works as the photo glue lifts relatively easily, but today it was not playing ball. In the end I had to remove it completely from the base card which was wrecked in the process, and then straighten the edge up and fix to a new card. The good news was that it had a much straighter edge, and the bad news was it got a bit creased in the process. I did decide to send it anyway as I dare the say the recipient will look at the card and not notice anything that much amiss, and as I was pleased with the design I decided to put it up here anyway. Mind you now I can see that the top edge could have done with a bit of surgery too. Anyway here is the card.
I originally saw the bee and the hexagon on CAS(E) this Sketch and thought of this stamp which is in a set from Sheena Douglass called Floral Fantasy - Violets. The hexagon die is from a set by Xcut. I used a 5" square snippet of white card for the layer. I originally wanted to emboss with two of the dies layered up, and tried several times, but maybe the dies are to thin and the card too thick because they just would not play ball. I even tried several shims to make the sandwich a little bit thicker, but in the end they started to cut even though the cutting edge was under the silicon mat, so I decided to cut out rather than waste the piece.
The next step was to stencil using this Tim Holtz - Honeycomb. I blended the ink, right across the hexagon using some blending foam and Adirondack - Sunshine Yellow and Distress Ink - Spiced Marmalade over the top to darken and shade. In the photo the lighter colour doesn't really show up. I adhered this layer to the base card and stuck the smaller hexagon in place. I added the area to the bottom left as an after thought and decided to keep it light by using just the remnants of the ink left on the blending foam.
Lastly I stamped the bee using a snippet of white card and Versamark and then heat embossed using WOW Gold EP. I coloured it using Promarkers in Canary and Henna, and cut it out and positioned using Pinflair Glue Gel to give a little shape. I then stamped the sentiment and heat embossed with the WOW Gold EP.
Well, whinging over, and I hope you feel the card was worth a viewing. I'm sure I'm not the first and won't be the last crafter to find that things don't always go to plan and that creating cards is not an exact science.
Thank you for looking at my blog today and I would like to welcome two new followers. They are Liz of Crafty Sunflower, and Jennifer of Jennifer's Crafting Rainbows. There are plenty of lovely things to see on both their sites so please do go give them a visit.
I am entering the following challenges:
Pixie's Crafty Workshop - Week 137 where we use up snippets of card and paper.
Addicted to CAS - No. 44 - Gold. I have used gold embossing.