Pages

Thursday, 25 December 2014

Happy Christmas

Hi there everybody.   Here is a card I made after seeing something similar over at Heather Telford's bits & pieces.  I only found her blog relatively recently and on looking through some of her posts you can see what wonderful work she produces.  I looked at the video tutorial she made and couldn't wait to have a go.  I used the tree from a freebie set from Penny Black which I got recently with a magazine, and although more of an indoor tree I thought it would probably work OK.


 Now it is no way as good as hers and it is similar as there isn't a lot of different ways to do snow and trees, but I hope she wouldn't consider this too much of a copy.  I cut a piece of copy paper with the shape for the snow, and the moon I cut using a circle die, cut the inside of the die to make it a bit smaller, pencilling the shape on to a 'post it' note and cutting out.  I used watercolour paper this time as I wanted to make it wetter and this does allow you to wet with a spray where ordinary card disintegrates much more easily.  I used  a brush and some water with my Distress Inks in  Tumbled Glass and Faded Jeans to build up the sky.  The trees were stamped with Adirondack - Bottle.  I actually spritzed the stamp with a bit of water before stamping so it blurred a bit and then went over again when dry with the same colour without the added water and on one or two I used a bit of Black Soot over the top instead of Bottle.   I did have a bit of a problem with the copy paper getting too wet and transferring the green  in several places.  I did try lifting the colour out with lots of water on the brush and a tissue which worked a little, but I just had to incorporate these in to the design as best I could.  If the tree looked a bit too thin I used a little extra Bottle ink with a brush and water to make the foliage more dense.  I used some more of the blues round the trees to give the appearance of the trees sitting in snow hollows and blurred lines of blue to give the snow depth.  I think this worked a bit but Heather's is fantastic.

I finished by stamping the sentiment and added some Perfect Pearls for the falling snow.  I think my blobs are a bit too regular.  Her brush and masking fluid gives a much more random effect.  Overall I was pleased with the way it turned out, but please if you don't know Heather and have never seen her work do go and take a look as you will be blown away by it.

After photographing it I decided that as it was what I considered to be my best and most creative card, artistically speaking, of the season,  I put a new sentiment tag over the top making it more personal and sent it to our son.  I didn't bother to take another photo though so this is it prior to the sentiment change.  

I would like to say a big thank you to all my lovely followers and fellow bloggers who I have come to know in the last fifteen months and hope that you all have a lovely Christmas, and for those that don't celebrate, an enjoyable break, and that 2015 will be happy, healthy and fulfilling. 

Pat x 


8 comments:

  1. I love your card Pat, lovely trees.
    Happy Christmas to you and your family, and best wishes for the new year.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Pat, I agree with you! This is your most stunning card, every bit as lovely as Heather's cards and she is one of my card idols!! I aspire now to be as good as both of you!! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Thank you for all your wonderful comments and visits!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat, I think you have CASed Heather's card just splendidly, and I'm certain she would be very proud of your efforts. (she's very encouraging!). You did a fantastic job with the snow dunes and those trees are just like Heather's. There is a product called Eclipse tape that makes a great mask..also the masking fluid Heather uses works well. Don't know if those products are available in the UK. (Maybe at an Art supply?) But yours looks terrific I think, and your Perfect Pearls falling snow is just wonderful! Hope that your Christmas Day was uber special. Hugs & TFS (and once again, Great job!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous artstic design Pat ! I love it. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and wishing you a great 2015, Shirleyx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather's work is simply amazing - she is very talented. But I must say your card is FABULOUS Pat - and just as good.

    Happy New Year to you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning card Pat, you've CASED Heather's card beautifully. I love her work too. Best wishes for a wonderful New Year, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous, Pat! I tried this technique when I watched Heather's video and it didn't turn out anywhere near this good! I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely GORGEOUS! Excellent card!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for looking at my blog today, your comments are greatly appreciated.