I am enjoying the challenge of using tissue paper and today I've tried something which is new to me, using tissue paper with an acetate overlay which facilitates die cutting the piece. I used a butterfly die which I have had for quite a while which is by Marianne Designs, and also a freebie embossing folder which I thought would show it off nicely.
I started by making the tissue paper and acetate piece for the butterfly. I used Distress Inks on my glass mat in the right sized area to cover my piece of tissue paper using Picked Raspberry, Spiced Marmalade, Festive Berries and Shaded Lilac. I spritzed fairly lightly with water and then laid my tissue over it to soak it up, and very carefully lifted it on to a piece of copy paper to dry. I did speed up the process with my heat tool. I then respritzed what was left on the glass mat and did it again, and once dried it looked about right so I went on to the next step. I decided to back the tissue with some thin copy paper so I scrunched it up to get some texture and then adhere it to the copy paper with PVA glue. I decided to use gold on the crinkles so ran my Versamark Ink over the top and added WOW Metallic Gold Embossing Powder and heat set it. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to show up in the photos very well, but in real life it shimmers really well.
Next I found some fairly thin acetate which I had lying about, I think this technique works better with thinner acetate, and I adhered it to the tissue paper with the PVA glue which dries clear. I applied the glue with a piece of blending foam to get a smooth even finish. Once it was completely dry I die cut the butterfly. I have to say that even with the thinner acetate this did take quite a few turns through the machine before I could remove the pieces and I did have to use some small scissors to finish the job where it refused to completely cut, but in the end it worked as luckily all the pieces which needed to come out were fairly large. Maybe one of the newer die cutting machines with better pressure would cut it more easily than my old Grand Calibur.
I then used the freebie folder for the embossed background and I am very pleased with the result, even though it did take a little time to achieve. The white blank base card is approximately 6" square.
I'm afraid I have only just made the Loll and Bonnie's two challenges as they close in just a few hours. I did intend to put this up yesterday morning but got so busy I have only just got around to doing so. This technique is something new to me and using one of the listed techniques that they very kindly sourced for inspiration, I really wanted to enter it in the challenge, so please forgive me for being so last minute.
Thank you for joining me here today and I hope to see you again soon.
I am entering the following challenges:
CAS Watercolour July Challenge - Butterfly. (So thrilled to be chosen as one of the Outstanding Designs)
CAS Mix Up July Challenge - Stamping, Tissue Paper and Own Choice (I have used dry embossing).
Country View July Challenge - Things with Wings.