Pages

Wednesday 26 July 2023

Braided Christmas Papers

Hi everyone.  I thought it was about time I started including the odd Christmas card and so I set to, and wanted also to use some snippets as the latest Snippets Challenge is a Christmas in July using snippets.  I have had these 12" square papers for an exceedingly long time and I looked at some techniques using strips and came across this blog here which has a video demonstration by Lyssa.  I also used a Sue Wilson die  called Noel Star.

I started with the braiding.  On the video she uses double sided paper which unfortunately I don't have and so I cut a piece of card to fit a DL card, and decided looking at the design to try to replicate it without folding it over.  I cut the four 12" long strips two of each of the patterned paper snippets to build up this pattern.  I started by laying the first two at right angles to one another sticking the pieces down just at the edge overlapping the card to be cut to fit afterwards, adding those onto the card either side of the first two under and over.  I cut each of the strips to tuck just underneath the next one being put down so that it saved on the amount of strips and so that it didn't become terribly thick.  In the end the two strips of each colour was sufficient to cover the card.  I then cut the die from a piece of purple card backed with Stick It adhesive, which I thought went with the background and stuck it to the card and then put the pieces back into the letters and star.  When I put it onto the card I thought that the purple looked a bit dark and heavy so I used a Sakura Starlight gold pen over the whole thing and at least the gold sheen has lifted it a bit, in fact now it looks more like aged metal I think which is OK.

Obviously if you have double sided papers it would be easier to do it as she demonstrates.  I made my strips an inch wide as I wanted to end up with a wider panel to fill the card.  I do quite like the look of it though and it does lend itself to using lots of different papers and you could build up the pattern differently by using some plainer paper strips to break up the pattern as Lyssa has done.  Thank you for dropping by today and I'll see you again soon.  






I am entering the following challenges:

Snippets Playground Challenge - No. 459 Christmas in July using snippets.
Rudolph Days Challenge - July - Anything Christmas Goes.
The Holly and Ivy Christmas Challenge - Anything Christmas Goes.
Merry Little Christmas Challenge - No. 51 Anything Christmas Goes.
Peace on Earth Christmas Challenge - No. 44 Anything Christmas Goes.


14 comments:

Liz said...

Super card Pat, lovely papers and a great way of using snippets. xx

Christine Alexander said...

Beautiful effect with the woven paper ♥

Aquarius said...

Great choice of papers and a clever adaptation of the braiding method in the video

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

A fantastic card Pat, a great way to use your papers and ideal for those strips we have left over so many time. Thanks for joining the fun at Rudolph Days this month.

Sue xx

Stamps and Paper said...

Lovely card Pat and like the technique you have used we've all got lots of snippets and we should certainly use more often..

Anne

Diane said...

Creative and pretty snippets cards, inspiring too!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Peace On Earth!
Diane POE Co-Owner
{Nellies Nest}
{Peace On Earth}
{Triple B}
{Simply Clean & Simple} NEW

Jenny L said...

Hi Pat,
Happy Rudolf Days.
Wgat a very wonderful card and such a super way tuse up snippets.
Love the papers used and your lovely sentiment.
Thank you for joining the Rudolf Challenge.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L. DT

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

What a beautiful card Pat and a wonderful technique. Making use of lots of different papers and times of the year. Love your card.
Faith x

Di said...

What a super snippets card Pat! It reminds me so much of New Mexico and the holiday Len and I had there based in Santa Fe ...... 'pre-Dudley'. The patterns you used are so typically indigenous to the area - love it! You do have such a good eye for colour and design.

Hugs
Di xx

Anita van Deur said...

Beautiful card and design! Thanks for sharing with us at The Holly and Ivy Christmas Challenge. Anita DT

Sarn said...

What a fabulous card Pat. Great design.

Thanks for entering a piece of homework to the Snippets Playground. See you on the swings later x

scrappymo! said...

This is a great card to use up snippets and has a lovely look to it as well.
Thanks for taking part in the Rudolph Days Challenge.
Maureen aka Scrappymo

Darnell said...

I think this is fascinating, Pat, and you are very clever to find a way around the double-sided element that worked beautifully on your design! Well done using snippets this way and well done building that CC stash! Hugs, Darnell

Vickie Y said...

Very pretty! Thank you for sharing with us at Peace on Earth Christmas Challenge.