Pages

Friday 18 August 2023

Floral Silhouette Best Wishes

Hi everyone.  Here's a card I made recently using a technique, demonstrated by Chrissie Stokes on YouTube, for making backgrounds using flowers and/or leaves placed between two pieces of absorbent card and put through the die cutting machine, and the resulting moisture leaves some pretty colours and patterns on the pieces of card.  I filled up an A4 sheet and started to roll it through my machine and it was a bit difficult to turn the handle but I managed to do a few turns.  I turned the sheets round and started from the opposite end, but the problem seemed to be in the centre so I cut it in half and put just half through at a time, and this worked better.  I also lined the card above and below with a piece of kitchen towel which stopped it making too much of a mess.  It worked fairly well and there were some areas where you could pick out the shapes of the leaves and stems, but also some bits, especially the buddliea flower I used, left big blobs of intense colour which were not particularly attractive, so I cut these off and am left with a few pieces which I thought would look nice as backgrounds, and this is one of them.


This piece was mostly areas of green and a little light purple and I decided to add a bit of script to the background using a stamp from a freebie set being used for the first time, which came with Simply Cards and Papercraft Magazine No. 239.  I stamped it with Vintage Photo Distress Ink, but I thought it needed pushing back a bit so I sprayed it with water and softened the look.  I also stamped one of the flower images from the set in the top left and bottom right corners using Carved Pumpkin Distress Ink, and just left it as is.  I then stamped the Crafty Individuals Flower Silhouette stamp called Wild Flowers and Ferns using Versafine Clair Nocturne Ink heat embossed with WOW Clear Gloss Embossing Powder.  I finished by adding some colour behind the flowers and around the edges using Fossilized Amber and Carved Pumpkin, and further darkened the edges with a bit of Vintage Photo.  I then added this to a white card 7" x 5", but ended up cutting a little off the length to give it better proportions.  

Not a lot of the original card with the crushed foliage technique can be seen as it is fairly well covered with inks, but I think it gives a good starting point, and maybe the next piece I use I will do a bit less inking to show it off better.  For those of you that might be interested you will find the You Tube video here.

Thank you for coming to visit the blog today and I'll see you again soon.






I am entering the following challenges:

NBUS Challenge - No. 53 where we use our Never Before Used Schtuff.
Stamping Sensations August Challenge - Mood Board/Anything Goes.
Simon Says Monday Challenge - Use Your Favourite Technique - Mine is Stamping.
Triple B August Challenge - Anything Goes using Birds, Butterflies, Blooms (any one, two or all three).
Beautiful Blossoms Challenge - Anything Goes/Optional Mood Board No. 8.

12 comments:

brenda said...

It's a very effective background Pat and clearly you found a way that worked perfectly for you, add the stamping and a lovely card. Leaves work nicely with the Gel Plate as well. Many thanks for sharing with us at Stamping Sensations.

B x

Hannelie said...

I tried this once before and was pleasantly surprised by the result! Yours turned out beautifully!

Liz said...

A fabulous design, Pat. It sounds like a really interesting technique. Thanks for the link to the video. xx

Aquarius said...

This has worked very well - love the card you've made. I've yet to have a go at this technique but I certainly enjoyed watching the video.

Viv said...

I also had limited success with the colourful flowers Pat. I found the softer shades of things like Hydrangeas worked better!
Your background here though has turned out really well and I live the script addition over the top which gives more depth of interest to the lovely silhouette! Great make. x

Donna Walls said...

Sounds like a fun technique and one I'll have to try. I like the Autumn colors and the background turned out beautifully. Thanks for sharing with us at The Beautiful Blossoms Challenge and we hope you'll join in again soon.
Donna xx
Beautiful Blossoms Challenge
Paper Funday Challenge
Inspiration Station Challenge

cuilliesocks said...

This is such a beautiful card Pat, and a fantastic technique. One I don't know of. The flowers are just lovely and you've use such pretty colours, Kate x

Loll said...

Gorgeous mix of elements to create a beautiful card, Pat. I love the organic look of the pressed leaves and flowers for your background. The wildflower image is just perfect to go with your background. And I love the colours you've used to give it an aged finish. Great work!! xx

Marjan said...

A lot of caution and persistance to get the "package"through the machine, I think. Ik have read about this technique on facebook, it is something I would like to try too sometime. This background piece turned out lovely with the added inks and the script was a very good idea! The black silhouettes suit the background, a beautiful card!!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

A stunning card! I have seen it in real life and can tell you the photo doesn't do it justice, it's amazing. The colours make it look vintage and gorgeous. Love it.
Faith x

Diane said...

Beautifully created floral card!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Triple B and Beautiful Blossoms!
Diane TB Co-Owner and BB DT
{Nellies Nest}
{Triple B}
{Simply Clean & Simple} NEW

Gerrina said...

That is such a beautiful flower silhouette and so usedul in so many different ways... This is another beautiful way of using it; what a great background! Thank you for joining us at Stamping Sensations!