Pages

Friday 7 June 2024

Bokeh Anniversary

Hi everybody.  I have made this anniversary card using this fun technique and one which I haven't used on a card for a very long time.  I was reminded of it by the Group of Seven Cardmakers who have this as their technique this month so I thought I must give it another go.  I have had a really heavy cold and it has left me feeling rather tired and out of sorts and I haven't been feeling like making a card, but needs must as I have an imminent family anniversary.  

I decided to give it a bit of a twist and instead of circles thought I would use hearts as this is an anniversary card, and I started by ink blending the piece of white card using Distress Inks in Mustard Seed, Spiced Marmalade, Ripe Persimmon and Candied Apple and I dried it well with my heat tool before starting the bokeh.  I cut a mask using three sizes of heart from a set by Sweet Dixie and I started with the largest using the only white ink I have which is Brilliance Moonlight White which is a pearlescent type white and probably not the best one for this technique as I found out as I went along.  I started by laying down five of the largest size heart and although the ink was dry, the ink blending tool..the Tim Holtz round one not a brush, lifted the ink a bit and the white became rather discoloured, especially in the areas with yellow.  I carried on using the middle size size heart mask and I could not seem too get any more depth of white  and it was all looking the same with no variation to give depth and distance.  I finished with the small heart and then tried giving some a second coat of ink but it didn't make much difference.  I cut the background to about 51/4" and then I decided to cut two hearts out from the piece for an eclipse look, and  I cut an extra couple of layers of hearts for dimension.  I think my brain is a bit befuddled at the moment and I have to say the way I cut the overlapping hearts was not quite what I intended and instead of one whole and one with a split, it ended up with both cut into..a little annoyed muttering ensued at this point..lol, and I then finished with a gold embossed sentiment cut with a sentiment plate, and I heat embossed using WOW Gold Metallic Rich Embossing Powder.  

I think I need a much brighter denser white ink to make a better job of this, and maybe it would have been better to make a smooshed background as possibly the ink would not have moved and mixed with the white pigment ink to make rather a dirty look of the bokeh, and I think maybe I got carried away with the bokeh not leaving enough of the colour in the background.  Anyhow although not as successful as I would have wished, it is a nice bright and happy anniversary card.

Thank you for joining me here today and I'll see you again soon.






I am entering the following challenges:

Stencil Fun Challenge - June '24 Anything Goes/Optional: Birthdays.
Heart's Quest Celebrations of Love Challenges - No. 6 June '24 Eng'ments, Weddings and Annivs. 
Make My Monday Challenge  - No. 227 'B' is for... mine is Bokeh technique.
 
I am also joining in with Darnell's I.D.E.A.S. which is a challenge she has set herself but has said that anyone can join in if they wish.  This week is June Week 1: I = Inks/Colour Mediums.  

16 comments:

Susan said...

Brilliant idea to use hearts for the bokeh effect! It looks terrific! Also love the way you die cut two hearts and popped them up. I'm so glad our Group of Seven Cardmakers was able to inspire you to revisit an older technique!

LesleyG said...

I think you did well with your pretty anniversary card, a very modern twist and colourful look. Hope you feel better soon xxx

Marjolijn van Elsberg said...

What a beautiful card.

Kathyk said...

I really like this, Pat, your bokeh effect hearts are just a fabulous idea

Kathyk

Aquarius said...

This is an interesting take on the bokeh technique and using hearts for an anniversary card was a great idea. Sorry to hear you're not feeling too good, hope you recover quickly.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Love you used hearts for this card Pat, I think they have turned out quite lovely, I love your colour choices for the beautiful card too. x

Becca S said...

I'm amazed! Your anniversary card is artistic and elegant!! Reading your post, you sound so disappointed however the end result is beautiful!!! Thanks for taking the time to share with Heart's Quest Celebrations of Love!!! --Becca

Christine Alexander said...

the bokeh hearts were a great twist on the technique, your card is beautifully. Thanks for trying the technique with us at GOS.xx

Loll said...

The heart bokehs are perfect for an anniversary card, Pat!! So creative and fun! I know what you mean about the colours of ink mixing. I had a bit of that, with the sponge I used for the white ink, taking on colour and then transferring it to my white ink pad before I realized. :) Always learning with this hobby. I have made another bokeh card and will post soon, this time I started by making dots of the same colours I sponged for the background and then layering less of the white ... it still created a lot of depth and I had less issues with ink transferring where it wasn't wanted. :)

Even though this gave you a little trouble, you have ended up with a beautiful card that your family will love. Thank you so much for sharing you card with us at Group of Seven. Love, Loll

Marjan said...

I think is is splendid!! A lovely design and so nice with the two hearts like this, even if it was not what you intended. Al in all a wonderful and elegant card!
White pigment ink is diffcicult, I have tried several brands and think Stampin Up and Donna Salazar are okay.

cuilliesocks said...

I just love this card Pat, the background colours are fabulous and I love the the hearts and the bokeh design, very cleverly designed, Kate x

Darnell said...

Gosh, Pat, usually the "in person" look at a card is better than what you see on your monitor, but it must be the reverse with this card because it looks like a vibrant Bokeh result to me! I love the idea of the hearts for the "bubbles" and they are quite distinctive. The anniversary couple will love it! Thank you for playing with me and my I.D.E.A.S.!📌And for joining the fun at the Go7! I hope you feel all back to normal soon! Hugs, Darnell

Liz said...

Wonderful anniversary card Pat, what a great idea to use hearts instead of circles. I love how the colours all blend beautifully.
Liz xx

Liz said...

I forgot to say, I hope you are feeling much better now.
Liz xx

Julia Aston said...

What a creative idea to use heart shapes with your Bokeh Pat! So lovely for an anniversary card - I can see how the Distress ink might bleed into the white but it all still works! The hearts are like fluffy clouds! Thanks for joining us at GO7 in trying this technique! xx

Darlene said...

What a clever & beautiful creation! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our STENCIL FUN challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Co-Owner … Can You Handle the Pressure, Double D, Four Seasons, Peace On Earth,Stencil Fun, Simply Clean & Simple, Two Old Bats, Triple B, Word Power