Pages

Saturday, 3 October 2026

CAS Mix Up Challenge - Blackout Embossing

Hi everyone.  Here we are with a new challenge over at CAS Mix Up, and this month it is Blackout Embossing hosted by Linda, and great to see Darnell (djkardkreations) as our Guest Designer.  This technique involves adding colour to the debossed side of an embossed piece and then dragging a dark colour of ink over the top to cover the raised areas and gives a really dramatic look to it.


For this card I used a Spellbinders Twirling Tulips 3D Embossing Folder and also a set of Clarity Frame Its square dies, one die which cuts quite a few in different designs, and I chose two about which are about 4" in consecutive sizes.


I started with the blackout technique using the Twirling Tulips EF and embossed onto white card.  I coloured the tulips using my Lyra Brush Markers in yellow and orange and a mid green for the leaves, and then used a Versafine Majestic Blue Ink Pad rubbed carefully over the top to catch the raised parts trying to keep the pad as level as possible and with light pressure.  I found turning the card around and doing it from each direction covered it more evenly.  

I already have a stash of the Frame Its in a bag ready to use and chose two of about 4" square in consecutive sizes and coloured with a bit of blue ink which was already on a brush just to add a hint of colour.  I then cut a piece of white card about 4 1/4" square and adhered the two frames to it and then chose a portion of the inked piece and cut it to fit just inside the frames with just a tiny space around it.  I finished with the sentiment stamped using the Majestic Blue Ink and heat embossed with WOW Clear Gloss Embossing Powder.

I hope you will visit us over at CAS Mix Up and take a look at the beautiful work from our Guest Designer Darnell and the rest of the team, and there are also a couple of videos to watch for more inspiration, and the challenge is open until the end of the month, so plenty of time to play along with us.

Thank you for visiting my blog today and I'll see you again soon.








No comments: