Hi everybody. I'm always in need of lots of masculine birthday cards and the latest Addicted to CAS challenge is entitled 'Splash', so I got out my Sheena Douglass stamps and I particularly like the lighthouse in her A Little Bit Scenic - Sea Scapes set and have used it before and I thought I could make it work for some challenges.
I started by stamping the image using Black Archival ink on to a piece of white card and also on to a scrap of white paper to make a mask. I cut this out and placed over the stamped image. I have some tubes of watercolour paint and I put a squeeze of two blues, French Ultramarine and Manganese Blue into a spray bottle and added a little water and then sprayed the white card with this spray and then dried using my heat gun. I did this several times until I was happy with the colour. The sprayed colour is quite soft and unfortunately I don't think it is very easy to see the sprayed effect. I then used some more of my watercolour paints with a brush to colour the image. It is sometimes quite difficult to glue this to the base card as some warping occurs when using a lot of water, so I stood a heavy book on top of it over night which did improve it significantly. There was still a bit of a problem with the top edge which didn't stick very well, so I had to pull it apart to add more glue and in so doing I creased the top edge a little which you can see in the photo. I did glue the sentiment in that area to try and hide it but unfortunately you can still see it a little.
For the sentiment I used a snippet of white card sprayed with the blue paints and then dried with my heat gun. I need the sentiment to be a bit darker so I put some of the French Ultramarine and a tiny bit of Alazarin Crimson on to my glass mat and added a little water and swiped the piece of card through it several times until I was happy with the colour, and then I cut it out using a Britannia sentiment die.
These paints have been stuck outside in the garage for years because I did do a little watercolouring a number of years ago, but since we moved to our present house we are so limited for space that they stayed outside in the garage, but as I have decided to give watercolour painting another go, DH searched them out for me and they have now taken their place with the rest of my creative clutter ..lol. I thought they might have dried up but they seem ok and I thought as I needed to spray some paint, and as I don't have any bottles of ink to do this with, that this would be a good alternative.
Thank you for stopping by my blog today.
I am also entering the following challenges:
Happy Little Stampers - Sprays/Mists.
Simon Says Monday Challenge - Sprays + Mist.
Simon Says Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes.
CAS on Sunday - One Layer.