Pages

Thursday 25 May 2023

Chequered Chess

Hi everybody.  A masculine card today for a family birthday coming up shortly.  I decided to use this Aall & Create Chess Border Stamp and also an embossing folder called Chequered which is by Papermania and I have had it for a long time but I think this is the first time I have used it..tut tut!


I decided to make the background using acrylic paints on my gelli plate.  I covered the plate with orange and opened the embossing folder and using the embossed side I laid it on the gelli plate, lightly pressing it to remove some of the paint, laying it down a second time to cover the plate, and then pulled the print.  It worked well and I cut it down to fit my 6" square white card and then stamped the image using some Versafine Smokey Gray Ink and heat embossed it with WOW Clear Gloss Embossing Powder.  The stamp is very long so I only inked part of it.  I darkened the edges with some blended Ripe Persimmon and then Hickory Smoke Distress Inks and used some beneath the image to ground it, and also added the Ripe Persimmon behind the stamping and added some White Inktense Pencil to highlight the image a bit.  I then added the sentiment using the same Smokey Gray Ink and Clear Gloss EP.

Thank you for coming to visit my blog today and I'll see you again soon.






I am enterering the following challenges:

NBUS Challenge - No. 50 Where we used our Never Before Used Schtuff.
Colour Hues Challenge - No. 64 Orange and Slate Grey.
Allsorts Challenge - Week 729 Absolutely Anything Goes for their 14th Birthday!
We Love Stamping May Challenge - Anything Goes/In the Garden.
Stamping Sensations May Challenge - Anything Goes/Stencil.




24 comments:

Aquarius said...

Cleve work on the striking background and the chess stamp is just right for a male birthday card even though I guess ladies also play chess. I like that the stamping was done in grey which is more subtle than black, which can be a bit harsh sometimes and just too 'in your face'.

Sarah said...

Thank you for joining us in celebrating Allsorts 14th Birthday!! Sarah DT

Ellen said...

Hi Pat, I can comment on your blog again! Your card is beautiful, love the stamp and the colors! Greetings Ellen (Ellen's Greetingcards)

Dena J said...

Wonderful technique to use embossing folder on your gel plate. Perfect background for the image! Thank you for joining the Allsorts 14 year celebration challenge.

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Fabulous masculine card! Great work with the EF and gelli plate for the background and the stamp is just perfect, great matching!
Thanks so much for joining us at We Love Stamping!

Cindy Beach said...

Your card is so original and a striking work of art! I love the vintage look you achieved with the gelli plate, it's so inspiring! Thanks so much for joining us at Color Hues!

Cathy said...

Great masculine card Pat, would never have thought to use an embossing folder on a gelli plate, brilliant idea! I checked out the Joseph's Coat technique too, think I like the look of that better than stamping different colours and embossing them, so TFS that :) Cathy x

Loll said...

LOVE your gelli plate background, Pat. It's perfect paired with the chess set stamp. Great design! xx

dj said...

I have the chess stamp and I love your technique for gaining the game board background...I am gonna try it!! Thanks for the inspiration!! Great card!!

Stamps and Paper said...

Great idea for a masculine card Pat and l love the design of the background
Just catching up after being away in sunny Devon

Anne

Darnell said...

You got a great pull with your Gelli plate and paint, Pat! It's a perfect background for that awesome chess stamp image! Thank you for inspiring everyone at NBUS! I think it's a bank holiday for you across the pond, as well, so happy long weekend! (Don't know why retired folk say that, lol! All our days are holidays!) Hugs, Darnell

Nancy said...

This was a perfect avenue for our colors, Pat! That background looks incredible and what a great chess stamp! So much inspiration! Thanks for playing along at Color Hues.

cuilliesocks said...

What a marvellous card Pat, I love the background and the colours. The chess pieces stamp is fabulous, Brilliant design and perfect for a male card and or a lovely of chess, Kate x

Mervi said...

Fabulous card with fabulous background!
Thank you for sharing at Allsorts 14th Birthday Party;-))m

Mrs.B said...

A great masculine card, love your background technique.
Thanks for sharing with us at Stamping Sensations. Avril x

Linby said...

I'm not sure how I would use that stamp but you have nailed it with this fabulous background. Thanks so much for sharing with us at We Love Stamping.

Christine Alexander said...

wonderful gelli print background, perfect for your chess stamp. I love the colour ♥

Aimeslee Winans said...

So artistic and cool looking. That stamp was on a store wish list somewhere once. A really nice masculine card, xoxo

Sarn said...

Ooh, that's a FABULOUS masculine card Pat. Thanks for the details on how you created it. xx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

WOW! Pat, this is awesome, I love your perfect background for the wonderful stamp. Love the orange too.
Faith x

Hannelie said...

All the design elements work so well together to make our challenge colors shine! Love this Pat!
Thanks for playing with us at Color Hues!

Liz said...

Wonderful card Pat, I love your colour choice. xx

Kathyk said...

Oh, I like this, A LOT! Super make, Pat

Kathyk

Marjan said...

This is wonderful, Pat! The card is very striking with the beautiful background and the stamp combines so well with that! Great for a men's card!