Pages

Wednesday 3 May 2023

Dolphins Rocker

Hi everyone.  This is a rocker card featuring dolphins, and dolphins do 'rock' too as I love them.  This is a masculine birthday card for my brother-in-law and at first I was not sure what to do, but I came across a rocker with an added piece of acrylic round a circular shape on the rocker and with the dolphins leaping round the edge of it, and I did try to find it again but had a fruitless search online.  I decided on something simpler and made the rocker base from a 6" square card rounding the bottom using a bowl as a template and cutting the base with scissors.  I then found a piece of card which I had recently inked with a technique I saw by Chrissie Stokes using spray starch and powder colours with wonderful shimmery mica and a piece of crinkled cling film over the top and left to dry...you will find it here.   I used blue, gold and white Pixie Powders on mine and was pleased with the results and thought it had the look of the sea.   I also used a dolphin image from a set of stamps that came with Creative Stamping Magazine No. 97 Beneath the Waves.


I wanted to create a background with waves and a large wave with the dolphins leaping in front, and having looked online I found a children's freebie image of a dolphin and a large wave and used this printing it to fit the width of the rocker and I just cut out the piece I wanted and pencilled round it on the back of the background piece adapting it a little to fit on my rocker base, and then I cut it out.  I wanted to add some texture to the crests of the waves and added some Opal White Perfect Pearls to them and wasn't so happy with that as it wasn't white enough, so I used some white acrylic paint over the top, and then added some more randomly over the bottom section to give the sea some movement and then added some more bits of colour using some Distress Inks in several blues applied with a waterbrush.  I then added this to the rocker base.

I stamped the dolphins in Versafine Smokey Gray ink and coloured with some grey tones of Distress inks again using a waterbrush, and I cut them out and added them to the card.  I finished with a stamped sentiment using Versafine Clair Nocturne ink.  I was going to use Smokey Gray but there is a lot of mica shine on the base and I wanted the sentiment to stand out well so thought the black would be better.

Thanks for visiting me here today and I hope to see you again soon.






I am entering the following challenges:

Cardz 4 Guyz Challenge - No. 321 Get Messy - Inks, Paints, Sprays.
The Male Room Challenge - No. 174 - Animals.
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - No Patterned Paper.
Simon Says Monday Challenge - Paint It.
Happy Little Stampers May Watercolour Challenge - Anything Goes/Flowers.
Happy Little Stampers May Birthday Challenge - Anything Goes.



23 comments:

Viv said...

What a fab card Pat!
Love these two dolphins swimming in this gorgeous sea! Great job. x

Aquarius said...

You've made a grand job of constructing this card from scratch - impressive. The spray starch technique works very well and no two results are the same, not too messy to do either which is good.

BożenA said...

WOW! Your sea looks phenomenal. I love the rough waves with a pair of dolphins jumping out of them. It's really a beautiful inspiration and thank you very much for verifying the description of the card.
hugs,
BożenA

Christine Nandrup said...

Wow what an amazing card.
-Christine

dj said...

Awesome!! You worked that water movement until you perfected it!! Nice job!! Thanks for "getting messy" with us over at Cardz 4 Guyz!! You rocked the masculine element of our challenge with your playful dolphins! -Deb Horst, DT #C4G321

Kath said...

A fabulous rocker card Pat - I'm sure your brother in law will love it.
Kath x

Mrs A. said...

Wow. Love the way you have created that wave and the dolphins playing in the sea. A wonderful rocker card. Hugs Mrs A.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Pat. how clever of you to incorporate that wave onto your card, the foam looks amazing. So does that technique! Love it, xoxo

Loll said...

Beautiful card Pat! LOVE the mica powders used with cling wrap smooshing ... it adds another level of shine. Your sea is gorgeous and the dolphins are the perfect images. xx

Marjan said...

The sea looks real! Love the shape and the two dolphins playing in the waves, a lovely card!
Your stamps are on their way, I hope they will arrive soon!

aussie aNNie said...

Just a beautiful card , I love the images and colours. Lovely card design x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

SO much movement in this card Pat, it's really beautiful. Love how you altered the paper to match your card.
Faith x

Donna Scholz said...

Oh, Pat, what a beautiful card! I love the ocean you created, and really appreciate you sharing the link to the technique!! I'm absolutely sure your BIL will LOVE your card!!! Thank you for sharing it with us at The Male Room!!! -Donna

Christine Alexander said...

Gorgeous card Pat, the waves with the dolphins swimming through them is stunning.

Goga said...

Fantastic card. Thanks for sharing at The male Room. Goga

Julie B said...

A great way to use that panel of inky card, it does remind me of the sea too. Thanks for getting inky at Cardz4Guyz. :)

Liz said...

What a beautiful card Pat, the sea with the waves is just amazing! xx

Fiona said...

Wow - as everyone else has said- your sea and the waves is amazing. Inspired too to make this card as a rocker card to give the feeling of the motion of the waves. Thanks for sharing with us at The Male Room

Ashwini Rao said...

What a spectacular card!! You've really made an amazing job of it, and the results are just stunning! Thank you so much for sharing this beauty with us at Happy Little Stampers Watercolor challenge! Do join us again!

Julie B said...

Back again to say thanks for sharing at HLS Birthday too! :)

Lyn Bernatovich said...

Hi Pat! I'm loving the originality of your rocker card! It appeals to my Florida coastal life! Thanks for playing at Happy Little Stampers May Watercolor Challenge. xoxo LynB

BożenA said...

Your card is really beautiful. The perfect birthday card. Thank you for including her in our gallery at HLS Birthday.
Bożena DT HLS

Dawn Phillips said...

This is really clever. Thanks for joining us at Cardz4guyz. Love Dawn x