Pages

Thursday 16 May 2024

Hare in the Landscape

Hi everyone.  I haven't posted anything for a couple of weeks as I have been away to Cornwall.  We went over the bank holiday weekend for a male voice music festival with a choir hubby belongs to and then we finished the week out staying at Mevagissey, and the weather was lovely with only a little rain one morning and then sunny and reasonably warm for the rest of the week, in fact as the week went on it got warmer and warmer which was great.  Since being back I have been slow to get back to anything, but  I have just bought a Speedball Elegant Writer Pen having seen it used for this month's Group of Seven Cardmakers and have also seen some YouTube videos and I thought it looked interesting so decided to give it a try.  I bought one with a fine nib and they have a flat edge as they are calligraphy pens but can be used with water, and the black pen which I bought will split out into blue and pink when the water is added.  It is the first time I have used it and I was reasonably pleased with the result.  I used a set of stamps called Wildlife for the hare and the sentiment which are from the Textures range of stamps by Lou Collins, and also a couple of different sets from the It's Just Paper range - Winter Woods from which I used the trees and grass, and Animal Silhouettes for the birds and two little hares, all of which are being used here for the first time.

I stamped all the images onto a piece of Bristol Smooth 250gsm card using Versafine Clair Nocturne Ink.  I did add two layers of the grass moving the stamp up in my stamp positioner and reinking just the top half of the grass to thicken it up and make it a bit higher, and then added some of the Elegant Writer Pen over the top around the edges and where there were shaded areas, and moved it around using a water brush.  I also scribbled some on my glass mat and picked it up from there.  I didn't get much of the pink, coming through but couldn't really add lots of water as it does cockle, and it did a bit, but I sprayed the other side with water and that helped to flatten it out.  Next time I will try a watercolour paper.  I like this paper because it is nice and white which is a better match for the cards I use, and generally speaking the watercolour card does not have the same whiteness.  I finished it with a blue mat and coloured a piece of white card round the edges with a couple of my blue alcohol pens one over the top of the other to get what I thought was a good colour to go with it and brighten it up a bit.  

Thank you for coming for a look today and I'll see you again soon.






I am entering the following challenges:

NBUS Challenge - No. 62 Where we use our Never Before Used Schtuff.
We Love Stamping Challenge - May '24 Vintage/Anything Goes.
Stamping Sensations Challenge - May '24 Mood Board/Anything Goes.
Allsorts Challenge - Week 780 Spots and Stripes/Anything Goes.

17 comments:

Loll said...

Your card is beautiful Pat. I love the look of the elegant writer. It's uniquely beautiful and it's always fun to try something new-to-us. :) I found that if I add a small amount of water to the elegant writer lines on my paper and then blotted with a paper towel, I got more of the pink and purple colours. Thanks so much for sharing your lovely card with us at Group of Seven! xx

Darnell said...

That is one amazing hare and one exceptional scene which you have built for him, Pat! Well done trying out the EW after seeing us play with them at Go7 ~ thank you! And thanks for the tips you included, as well as for inspiring everyone to use their NBUS!

Your get-away sounds like it was delightful! Hugs, Darnell

Liz said...

Super card Pat, I love the scene you’ve created. I’ve never heard of an Elegant Writer Pen before, but it looks like a fun tool to play with. Thank you for joining in the Allsorts Challenge this week.
Liz xx

brenda said...

You have created a lovely scene with the focal Hare Pat and the tone on tone colours work very well, many thanks for sharing with us at Allsorts, Stamping Sensations and We Love Stamping challenges.

B x

Aquarius said...

It was so interesting to read your comments about the Speedball elegant writer pen, an item I've managed to resist buying ... so far 😉. Love the stamps you've used on this card and look forward to maybe seeing how you get on using watercolour paper/card. The varying shades of white can be a bit of a problem when putting cards together but I imagine people who don't make cards possibly wouldn't notice the variation.

Rainey's Craft Room said...

This is a wonderful creation, many thanks for joining us at Allsorts this week.
Lorraine

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

A fabulous card, love so much the wild scene you created and you made a very good work with the Speedball Elegant Writer Pen. I have never used one, so thanks for all your explanations about how you made.
Thanks also so much for joining us at We Love Stamping!

cuilliesocks said...

Absolutely gorgeous Pat, it's a fabulous scene and I love that super hare. lovely shades of colours and what a good job you've done with your new pen, Kate x

Marjolijn van Elsberg said...

Super cute card, love the haze

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful monochrome card and love the stamps.Thank you for joining us at Stamping Sensations.
Carol DT x

Christine Alexander said...

wonderful job with the elegant writer, adding colour from the craft mat gave you so much more control. You created a sweet little scene xx

Sarn said...

I absolutely LOVE this card Pat. Great scenic stamping and use of your new pen. (Runs off to see what the pen is all about!) xxx

Bonnie said...

This huge rabbit has such a sweet face and worked so well for coloring with the Elegant Writer, Pat! The scene you've place him in broke down into the blues beautifully. I had trouble getting pink too. This is an awesome design and shows this technique beautifully!

Susan said...

I love that hare!! And a great background too. Your use of the Elegant Writer is perfect for the hare and the scene. So happy you joined in and tried the latest Group of Seven technique!

Kathyk said...

Super card and colours and loving your composition

Kathyk

coldwaters2 said...

Oh my word how I love this beautiful card I love the stamps you have used to create such a wonderful scene a superb make thank you for joining us at We Love stamping
hugs
lolo x

Mervi said...

Sounds like a fabulous holiday!
Beautiful and lovely card Pat.
Thank you for sharing at We Love Stamping May challenge;-))m