Pages

Saturday 10 August 2024

Season's Greetings with Flowers and Holly

Hi all.  So far this year I have made no Christmas cards, so I thought that maybe it was time to start.  To give myself a kick start I saw this John Next Door Box Kit Magazine No. 10 with an embossing folder, stamps, dies and papers and thought it looked as though there were quite a lot of possibilities for interesting cards, so true to form it dropped in my basket..lol.  I used the embossing folder, one of the stamps and several of the dies and all on their first use.

 
I started by embossing the holly and berries folder which is 5" square onto white card, and then inked up the design with Mowed Lawn Distress Ink using a blending brush.  I then inked all the berries using a Cardinal Red alcohol pen.  I didn't want to get too much ink on the background and thought the holly leaves needed more colour so I used my coloured pencils in a couple of different greens and went over each of the leaves and the stems which gave a stronger look to it, and I finished by adding some Mowed Lawn around the edges.   

I then moved on to the sentiment for which I cut the two oval dies which come with the set, and added the holly frame and one of the sentiments which are made to fit the smaller oval, and inked it with Versafine Satin Red Ink heat embossed with WOW Clear Gloss Embossing Powder.  I then cut the flowers..the die comes with a large and two smaller flowers on the one die, but I just used the smaller ones cutting twice as the middle flower is double layered, and then coloured them with three of the reds that I have in my set of alcohol ink pens including the Cardinal Red I used on the berries, and a couple of darker colours to add depth.  I then added the little yellow gems using three on each of the flowers.  I also cut one of the stems of holly which is double ended with berries in the middle, but I just cut the berries away and this made two pieces.  I also used another leaf stem and cut this three times.  I coloured the holly with a mid green and the other leaves with a lighter brighter green alcohol pen for a bit of variation.  I didn't add any dimension with foam tape because I was afraid that it would be far to thick to get in an envelope..as it is I think it will just about pass the postal slot test.

Thank you for coming to visit me here today and I'll see you again soon. 






I am entering the following challenges:

Snippets Playground Challenge - No. 486 Where we use our snippets of card and paper etc.  I used snippets of white card for the two oval mats, the flowers and the leaves. 
NBUS Challenge - No. 65 Where we use our Never Before Used Schtuff.
The Holly and Ivy Christmas Challenge - No. 166 Anything Christmas Goes.
Peace on Earth Challenge - No. 69 Anything Christmas Goes.
Merry Little Christmas Challenge - No. 57 Anything Christmas Goes.
Can You Handle The Pressure Challenge - Anything Goes/Wheels.

I am also entering Darnell's I.D.E.A.S., a challenge she has set herself but has said anyone can join in.  This is August Week 1: Ink/Color Mediums.

15 comments:

Darnell said...

What a great purchase, Pat! You had everything you needed, with your own ink, to make an outstanding Christmas card design with incredible detail! What a way to start your stash! Thank you for linking again to NBUS and getting inky with my I.D.E.A.S. this week!📌 Hugs, Darnell

Anita van Deur said...

I love it! Thank you so much for joining The Holly and Ivy Christmas Challenge! Anita DT

Aquarius said...

I can see why this boxed magazine jumped into your basket - looks as if it was worth getting. What patience - colouring all of the leaves and berries on the embossed background must have taken ages but it paid off.

Sarn said...

Lovely Christmas card with the pretty embossing, colouring and die cut flowers.

Thanks for entering a piece of homework to the Snippets Playground. See you by the paddling pool! x

Kath said...

A fabulous card Pat - I'm sure you'll be able to make many more cards with this box set.
Kath x

Diane said...

A beautiful holiday card!!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Can You Handle The Pressure and Peace On Earth!
Diane CYHTP, POE Co-Owner
{Nellies Nest}
Co-owner: {Can You Handle The Pressure},NEW {Love Those Pretty Papers},{Word Power}, {Double D}, {Peace On Earth}, {Four Seasons}, {Two Old Bats}, {Stencil Fun}, {Triple B}, {Simply Clean & Simple}

Ellen said...

Hi, you made a beautiful card. A lot of work I read! Love it and thanks for the explanation!
Gr Ellen

Kathyk said...

This is such a pretty card and the green/red is such a great combo for a festive card, I really need to crack on with my own Christmas cards!

Happy Sunday

Kathyk

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I've been dithering about the magazine, but seeing your card certainly makes it a good buy. Love your beautiful card Pat. x

Liz said...

Super card Pat, I love the background you’ve created. You’ve made good use of the things in the box kit.
Liz xx

Marjan said...

Wonderful buy!! A beautiful card with that background with the subtle holly and berrie embossing. The sentiment really looks great together with the Poinsettia's!

Loll said...

Gorgeous card and a great start to your Christmas card stash, Pat! Love the traditional red and green. Your embossed background is coloured beautifully and your sentiment is so pretty with the spray of flowers and leaves. xx

Di said...

What a totally delightful Christmas card Pat! It must have taken ages with all the beautiful detailing. Perfect, as always from you.

Hugs
Di xx

Christine Alexander said...

Beautiful card, the holly berry makes a perfect background ♥

Susan said...

Such a pretty Christmas card, Pat! I love the way you inked up the embossed background panel and then went over it with coloured pencils. Then sentiment oval is perfect to anchor the die cut flowers.