Pages

Monday 3 April 2023

Trailing Time Gilding and Embossing

Hi everybody.  After seeing the fun the Group of Seven Cardmakers had with gilding flakes, it encouraged me to resurrect mine from the depths of my crafting cupboard and give it a go.  I used the remains of some very old Indigoblu flakes bought such a long time ago and transferred to a plastic container that I have no idea what the name is, and I used a Sheena Douglas 3D Embossing Folder called Trailing Time.

I  backed a snippet of white card with some sticky adhesive sheet and then covered it with the gilding flakes.  I then ran it through the embossing folder to emboss it and I added some Deep Crimson Versafine Ink to the raised areas to highlight them as I thought it would be less harsh than black.  It looked quite good but it was not keen to dry even with my heat tool, so I rubbed it with a piece of kitchen towel which took most of the ink off but it was still coming off on my fingers, so I covered it with some Versamark ink using a very old rather dirty pad so I didn't make a mess of a decent one, and then heat embossed the whole piece with WOW Clear Gloss Embossing Powder to seal it.  I then backed it with a snippet of black card and added it to a 7" x 5" white card.  I finished by die cutting a sentiment from another snippet of black card backed with adhesive, and I decided to add a small butterfly using a die bought from The Range some time ago, and  I cut the top layer from a gold tag which came off a recently received parcel and I kept it as I thought the gold was the perfect colour, and the back layer from another small black snippet, and added these to the card.

 
I think it was successful in as much as the embossing is quite deep and the gilding flakes are bright and pretty, and a little of the red ink remains but that part did not work so well.  It isn't a challenge as such but I will link it up to the Group of Seven's blog as they are interested to see the results if anyone gives the technique a go.  Thank you for dropping by today and I hope you'll come back soon.







I am entering the following challenges:

Group of Seven Cardmakers.
Simon Says Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes.
Creative Moments March Challenge - For a Special Lady.
Crafty Catz Challenge - No. 631 Anything Goes/Easter.
Crafty Calendar Challenge - April - Die Cuts.
Allsorts Challenge - Wks 722/723 - Anything Goes/In the Spring Garden.
Happy Little Stampers April Birthday Challenge - Anything Goes.

19 comments:

Mrs A. said...

Beautiful card using the gilding flakes. I have several pots that haven’t seen the light of day in years. hugs Mrs A.

Aquarius said...

This is an excellent end result and it was so interesting to read about the problems encountered along the way. Not sure what could be done about the ink not drying though.

Christine Alexander said...

thanks for trying out the technique, the card looks beautiful. I used Stazon in with no problem but I know some of the others found the embossed card became quite sticky. Still a great way use up those long forgotten boxes of gilding flakes :)

brenda said...

Great results Pat, afraid mine are the same place yours were! Many thanks for sharing with us at Allsorts challenge this week.

B x

Cathy said...

Great result with this technique Pat, glad the embossing stopped the ink coming off, not sure what else would help with this, love the sparkly butterfly too, Cathy x

Liz said...

Beautiful card Pat, it looks a really fun and interesting technique. Thank you for joining in the Allsorts Challenge this week. Good luck!
Liz xx

Donna Ellis said...

Hi, Pat! NEVER would I have thought of using gilding flakes in this manner, and now I can hardly wait to case your technique. It looks AMAZING, and I imagine, it looks REALLY amazing in person. Beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing your creative process. Hugs, de

nancy littrell said...

Love your beautiful artsy gilded flakes and dry embossed background, Pat. I just finished a card that I will be posting today. I used Archival Jet Black Ink to lightly go over my background and it was NOT sticky at all:-) So maybe that is one solution for the stickiness problem you and others have had. TFS your beauty, my friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

Liz said...

Popping back to say thank you for also joining in the Crafty Calendar Challenge with your beautiful card.
Liz xx

Sarn said...

Fantastic technique giving great results. You’ve made a gorgeous card. Xxx

Aimeslee Winans said...

Lovely results, Pat. I always seem to find helpful tips here! I also have a couple jars of Indigo Guilding Flakes in a drawer along with the Flitterglu and a foam Scoochy (all came in a set). I used the flakes once and good results but oh the mess. Thinking I will use a rubbermaid dish tub to try again. And thanks for that group blog, looks very helpful, I played in their challenge blogs. Hope all is well with you, xoxo

Marjan said...

You made good use of your leftover gilding flakes, the technique is interesting and the result stunning. I never bought them, not sure if I would really use them, although I have seen some lovely cards with them.
The black panel behind it sets it off beautifully and the panel does not need more than the black sentiment and gold and black butterfly!

Karen Dunbrook said...

amazing...such an interesting technique.
xx Karen

Aunty Sue said...

lovely card thanks for sharing at Crafty Catz this week

Darnell said...

Thank you for trying the technique, Pat, letting us know your results, and adding your beautiful card to the linky tool at Go7. I love your end result! I put more flakes on top to stop the stickiness, but I love the way you clear-embossed yours to seal it! That adds another layer of shine! Hugs, Darnell

Loll said...

Your card is gorgeous. Too bad the ink didn't dry, but that happened to a few of us at Group of Seven. I think it depends on the type of ink. But your end results is so beautiful and you know have used up more of your long forgotten gilding flakes, so it's all good. :) Thanks for trying the technique and linking up. xx

Bonnie said...

Thanks for trying this technique and sharing your process as well as the pitfalls and possible solutions! Your card is beautiful! I wish I'd thought to use a different color ink! I like the crimson much better than the black.

Mervi said...

Fabulous and stunning card!
Thank you for sharing at Allsorts;-))m

Julia Aston said...

What a beautiful gilded background you created Pat! The Deep Crimson Ink adds a great accent to your embossed design. So pretty with the slim black frame and gold die cut butterfly! So glad you tried the technique and linked it so we could see it at Group of Seven! Julia xx