Pages

Monday, 17 August 2026

Stencilling over Patterned Paper

Hi everyone.  Here is another card using the technique over at CAS Mix Up this month.  I used a Tim Holtz Flourish stencil and a Creative Expressions mini stencil called Shabby Harlequin, and a set of Creative Craft Products DL Torn Edge dies and also the Oval Torn Edge Dies.


I started with a piece of quite plain dp from my stash and cut it with a DL Torn Edge die  to fit a DL card, and then using the Flourish Stencil I chose one portion of it to fill a corner by masking off around it so that I wouldn't ink up bits I didn't want, and added it to each end of the piece of paper using Wilted Violet Distress Ink using a blending brush.  I then decided to add another pattern as I felt it was a bit too plain in the centre and used Spun Sugar DI quite lightly to the centre with the Shabby Harlequin stencil, but then decided to do it all over the piece.  I wasn't sure about the colour so I then put the stencil back over and worked my way over the whole piece with Picked Raspberry DI, again quite lightly but it did brighten it up slightly but was still quite a peachy pink but thought I would leave it there.  Although this second stencil is small being a regular pattern it matched up fine.  

I finished by cutting two of the Torn Edge Ovals and the larger one I coloured with the Wilted Violet using the blending brush, and then on the smaller white one I just used what was left on the brush to take the whiteness down a bit.  I finished by stamping a sentiment onto it again with the Wilted Violet ink and heat embossed with WOW Clear Gloss Embossing Powder and layer it up onto the card in a landscape format. 

I hope you will give this a try as if you are like me you have lots of patterned papers which perhaps don't look so great on their own but used as a background they are perfect and my stencils get a bit neglected too.  We would love to see what you can do so do come and join us.  There is still a couple of weeks before it closes at the end of the month.  Thank you for visiting my blog today and I'll see you again soon.






I am entering the following challenges:

Allsorts Challenge Embossing Wet or Dry/Anything Goes.
Simply Clean & Simple Challenge - Aug. '26 Anything Goes/Nature.
Stencil Fun Challenge - Aug. '26 CAS Design Style/Anything Goes.
Time Out Challenge - No. 319 "Pick 2" ( I have Birthday and CAS and an extra Geometric (diamond stencilling and oval mats).
CAS Mix Up Challenge - Auig. 26 Stencilling over Patterned Paper.

16 comments:

Darlene said...

Beautifully done Pat! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Stencil Fun & Simply Clean and Simple challenges! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Stencil Fun Co-Owner
Simply Clean & Simple Co-Owner

brenda said...

A pretty blend of colours Pat and like the horizontal DL orientation. Many thanks for joining us at Allsorts challenge.

Funnily enough I did this on my weekend Tag-Along make, something I wouldn't normally do but pleased with the finish, will try again.

B x

Aquarius said...

Great to see another interpretation of this stencilling technique and you are right about the quantity of patterned paper I, and many others, must have lying unused. Thank you for sharing this colourful card with us at Allsorts

Gail L said...

Your slimline card looks fabulous!
Thank you for joining us at Allsorts!

Diane said...

A beautifully stenciled card!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Stencil Fun and Simply Clean & simple!
Diane
{Nellies Nest}
Stencil Fun, Simply Clean & Simple Co-Owner

Loll said...

Your card is so lovely, Pat!! The pink ink looks gorgeous after becoming more of a peach tone after stenciling over top of your patterned paper. The purple flourishes really compliment the background colour and both stenciled layers stand out on their own. Great work ... and a beautiful card to add to Birthday card stash!! xx

Carol said...

I like how you used two different stencils to the patterned paper to get this nice collage look. I really like that torn paper die too! I might need to go look at it online! So happy you decided to play along at Time Out! To be in the voting for winner or the sponsored prize, we only allow you to enter your card in 5 challenges including outs. I hope you will play along again!

Liz said...

Wonderful card Pat, the stencilling is beautifully done.
Liz xx

Pat said...

Sorry Carol. There is a link at the top of the post too but that is the same as one of the challenge links at the bottom, so it is only five. x

Nancy said...

Lovely! Thanks for playing along with us at Time Out Challenges!

Susan B said...

That's really lovely - the stencilling looks great over the patterned paper.

Marjan said...

Good choice of colours and the two stencils work so well together! A beautiful and elegant card, Pat!We had a challenge at DCL once where we asked this, it was nice to do and you remind me of it.

My Paper Epiphany said...

This colour combo is so pretty! Great card!

Christine said...

Beautiful card, and what a great way to use some of your patterned paper. I have so much but rarely use it xx

Lynne said...

A pretty combination for your stencilling, a lovely card. Thank you for joining in at Allsorts.

Linda said...

This looks so pretty. I love how you've used the two stencils to add detail to your patterned paper.