Pages

Wednesday 3 September 2014

Hunkydory Celebration

Hello All.  This is a scheduled post as I am busy at the moment, so please forgive me if I don't get to visit as often as I would normally.  I needed an Anniversary card and thought of a set of stamps which I have had for quite a while made by Hunkydory called Celebrations.  I have been practising with my Gelli Plate and decided to see what I could do with a mask I have from That Special Touch called Chevrons.  Here are the results.

   
As you can see the one on the left is rather pale.   I used Memento Lady Bug which is a nice bright red but didn't come out red at all.  I think I layed the stencil on the Gelli Plate and inked through the stencil before removing and pulling the print.  On reflection I think the other red I have, which is Distress Ink Fired Brick, might have come out darker.  The middle sample I coloured after printing using three different shades of red Spectrum Noir Pencils, and then the right hand one I used the Lady Bug with Memento London Fog and I think I inked up the stencil with the first colour, layed it on and brayered over it, lifted the stencil pulled the print and then did the same with the other colour making sure before pulling the print that the card was replaced in the same position but the other way up so the chevrons overlap each other.  You do have to be careful that you don't mark the Gelli with anything sharp as the marks will obviously pit the surface and leave the marks on any subsequent prints.  The thing with the Gelli is that the results are quite random and you can never be quite sure what will happen, especially if you are using several colours.  Although you can use dye based inks I do think acrylics give more dramatic results, but at the moment I don't have any so am going with what I have.  It is certainly fun to use.

The print I went with in the end was the reverse of the third sample which I made by covering the Gelli Plate with the Lady Bug ink and then inked the stencil, layed it on and then I think I dabbed through the stencil with a tissue to randomly remove some of the ink before lifting the stencil and pulling the print.  I decided to cut round the chevrons to give it a shaped edge and then backed it with black card.  I used the champagne glass stamp and using a snippet of white card I stamped with Archival Black ink and and as it stays wet a little longer I used the clear holographic embossing powder which I'm afraid does not show up in the photo.  I stamped two of these and coloured in parts of the image using a red Spectrum Noir pencil and then cut them out.


As a finishing touch I decided to make a small tag for the sentiment and attach it with Baker's Twine to the stem of the glass before adhering it to the card.  I also wrote the sentiment by hand.  I have some of the small nibs which attach to the Promarker Pens which made the writing fine enough, but I have to admit it took several goes before I was happy with the writing.  I cut the label shape by hand using another snippet and punched a hole in one end and rounded the other with my Tonic corner rounder.  I assembled it using my usual square white card.

Thank you for dropping by.

Pat  x


3 comments:

Jean said...

This is really lovely Pat, the gelli print looks pretty and I love that champagne glass stamp.
Jean x

Darnell said...

That was really interesting to read about your process, Pat! It must be fascinating to use those Gelli plates and I think your print looks so gorgeous on your card. Great idea to make the shaped edge and I'll bet the e/p looks so sparkly IRL!! Just an awesome anniversary card!! Don't work too hard and don't be away too long. I've got a new NBUS challenge starting at midnight tonight! Hugs, Darnell

MaryH said...

You know I read through your directions twice to garner any tips! I have to ask - did you apply the ink from the Lady Bug pad to the plate? Didn't know you could do that, but perhaps you did it another way. Whatever method, you made some lovely backgrounds, and it's really quite spectacular with the paisley look of that champagne glass. Very elegant card and I liked your shaping of the chevrons idea! Loving these prints, and hope I can turn out something of this level one of these future days. TFS & Hope you're having lots of fun. Hugs & TFS