Pages

Friday 19 January 2024

Clockwork Daisies

Hi everybody.  Having seen techniques using embossing folders and heat embossing on YouTube, I decided to give it a go.  I used this Sheena Douglass 3D embossing folder called Clockwork Daisies.  I also used the frame from a Cardmaking Magic set called Fancy Rectangles which is being used for the first time here.  I also used a die cut sentiment by Sue Wilson.  As I haven't mentioned it for a long time, the card I use is Craft UK Premier White 300gsm.


I found a snippet of white card and using starch I sprayed it onto my glass mat and added orange and brown Brusho Powders, and swept the card through it doing it several times to build up the colour.  I think the starch helps to make the paint less runny and it tends to help stop the card warping and also adds a bit of a shine to the finished piece.  I then used the Clockwork Daises EF and decided to deboss it and then I very carefully rubbed the Versamark pad across it just to catch the surface with it and then added WOW Metallic Gold Embossing Powder.  It did leave some powder where I didn't want it and I used a pokey tool to remove some of the stray bits, as it has a nice point you can be more controlled, and then I heat embossed it.  It didn't catch all of the areas, and so  I used the Versamark pen to fill in a few places where it didn't stick enough and heated those areas again.  I used the Fancy Rectangles frame around the piece using a snippet of orange card and added the die cut gold 'Congratulations' along the edge of the frame also cut from a snippet of gold mirri card.  I double layered it to make it stand out more using another snippet of white card.  I mounted it on a 5" x 7" card.

I have added this as I don't think I explained properly that the usual technique with spray starch using Brushos then includes cling film laid over and left until dry and you can get a lovely textural look, but I didn't use the film as I knew I wanted to do the dry and heat embossing so thought any added texture would not really be seen. The dry embossing and then using a sticky ink and embossing powder is really a separate technique.  There are lots of videos online showing both these techniques if you are interested.   

Thank you for coming to visit today and I'll see you again soon.






I am entering the following challenges:

Snippets Playground Challenge - No. 471 Celebration Theme.
NBUS Challenge - No. 58 Where we use our Never Before Used Schtuff.
Beautifiul Blossoms Challenge - No. 13 Anything Goes/Mood Board.
Triple B Challenge - January 2024 Birds, Butterflies and Blooms (using any one or all).

18 comments:

Sarn said...

What a gorgeous card Pat. Thanks for sharing the techniques on how it was made.

Thanks for entering a piece of homework to the Snippets Playground. See you up in the treehouse for a mug of hot chocolate later. xxx

Aquarius said...

Great work with colouring the card and then using this embossing technique, something I must try after my next colouring session. The fancy frame finishes it off nicely

Diane said...

Absolutely gorgeous, a great technique!!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Triple B!
Diane TB Co-Owner
{Nellies Nest}
{Triple B}

Darlene said...

OH WOW ... how beautiful this is Pat! LOVE IT!!! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Beautiful Blossoms! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often. We appreciate your support!

Darlene
BB DT
BEAUTIFUL BLOSSOMS
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

PS ... thanks for also sharing this beauty with us over on our Triple B challenge blog!!! Good Luck!

Darnell said...

I think this is awesome, Pat, and I can imagine the incredible shine in person! I have not heard that about using spray starch before, so thank you for that great tip. I wonder if that stuff goes bad? I guess I'll find out since my can is a hundred years old! Was your snippet of white card a watercolor paper or just white card? Thank you for inspiring everyone to use their NBUS! Happy New Year! Hugs, Darnell

Di said...

Fabulous card Pat - loved reading about how you made it. A lot of care and precision went into it for sure!

Hugs

Di xx

Liz said...

Fabulous card, Pat. I've not heard of this technique before, but the result is beautiful on your card.
Liz xx

Loll said...

AMAZING card using this technique, Pat! I LOVE the colours of the daisies, and it looks so beautiful with the debossed image. I have not used spray starch for a long time, but I am going to give this a try. Thanks for the inspiration. xx

Cathy said...

Great card using this technique Pat, it's gorgeous, my brushos have been sadly neglected for some time but I might have a go at this, TFS, Cathy x

Aimeslee Winans said...

Fabulous look to this card, Pat. I think the messiness of the embossing adds to the look and the frame is perfect. xoxo

Donna Walls said...

This technique turned out fabulous on your card Pat! Thanks for sharing with us at The Beautiful Blossoms Challenge. We're always inspired by everyone's creativity!
Donna xx
Beautiful Blossoms Challenge
Inspiration Station Challenge
Paper Funday Challenge

Christine Alexander said...

Absolutely gorgeous, I have a can of spray starch so I might just have to try this xx

Marjan said...

Haven't heard before about starch in combination with brusho, but it sounds like a good idea. Do you buy that or make it yourself? Your card is gorgeous Pat, the frame, the daisies and the glow is all has!

cuilliesocks said...

What a stunning card Pat, the texture and colours are wonderful, such a beautiful frame too, Kate x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

A stunning effect Pat, love the embossing to show it off and the frame to show it all off, a gorgeous card. I love the 300gsm card too :)
Faith x

Kate said...

Stunning card Pat! Love the effect! Love the colours you've chosen too! Visiting from the Snippets Playground, hugs, Kate!

Helen said...

Beautiful - that looks so expensive and elegant!

Thanks for joining us at the Beautiful Blossoms Challenge.

Helen x
DT

Aimeslee Winans said...

Thank you so much for entering this beauty in our Beautiful Blossoms Challenge.
XOX, Aimeslee DT