Pages

Friday 12 January 2024

Lighthouse Bookmark

Hi all.  I have something different to show today.  I used to do a lot of cross stitch, including some quite big projects, and then I made some cross stitched cards which led me into cardmaking in the first place, but over the last few years I haven't done much of it.  Whilst I was in the supermarket one day in June I saw this bookmark which was the gift with a World of Cross Stitching Magazine, Issue 334 so I bought it to make the bookmark for hubby.  I made him one with a blackwork heart design on, probably about 25 years ago, and I noticed it was beginning to fall apart..I'm surprised it has lasted so long.

I took the kit on holiday in July hoping I might get a lot of it done whilst away, but that didn't quite work out..lol.  I started it but have been just doing a bit occasionally during the evenings.  I do find these days stitching makes my thumb joints ache so consequently have to be more measured with the amount I do at a time, and I did finish the stitching in November but wasn't quite sure how I was going to finish it off, and with lots of other things to get on with before Christmas it was left for a while, but I have finally finished it.  It came with a printed aperture card to put it into, but I wanted it to be more robust, so  I did buy a piece of blue felt to use on the back and eventually decided to do some blanket stitch around the edges in a coordinating blue (luckily I still have quite a few different colours of thread in a box).  Anyway, I have enjoyed doing it and intend to carry on doing some as and when I have the time.

Hubby was very pleased with it and I notice that it is now installed in his latest read.  Thank you for coming to visit me here today and I'll see you again soon.







I am entering the following challenges:

Ally's Angels Challenge - No. 78 Anything Goes.
Love to Craft Challenge - No. 78 Anything Goes.

12 comments:

Loll said...

This is one beautiful bookmark, Pat!! Not only is your stitching amazing, but now your hubby has a bookmark that he can use for the next 25 years! :) Great work! xx

Aquarius said...

A lovely gift for your husband. Interesting that you used to do a lot of cross stitch - me too although it is ages since I did any.

Kath said...

A lovely cross stitch bookmark Pat - felt and blanket stitch is a great way to make it more robust.
Kath x

Mrs A. said...

Lovely lighthouse . I have only ever done one piece of cross stitch and it is still a work in progress from many moons ago. Well done on finishing yours. Hugs Mrs a.

Liz said...

Beautiful cross-stitched bookmark, Pat. It sound like it was a real labour of love to make and I’m sure it will be treasured by your hubby. xx

Stamps and Paper said...

Beautiful book Pat and I am sure your hubby was pleased to have a replacement..

Anne

Sarn said...

Looks GREAT as well as being really useful xxx

Cathy said...

Hi Pat, your bookmark looks fabulous, my eyes get very tired when I stitch nowadays and I think I still have a kit or two on the go from ages ago! Love the bookmark idea though. I hope you have a wonderful 2024 too, Cathy x

Viv said...

A fabulous make Pat. Loving the lighthouse design. x

Marjan said...

Made with love, that is for sure! I have the same problem with the thumb joint in my left hand, so we have to be careful. You did it and what a lovely bookmark is is! He can use this new one again for many, many years!

cuilliesocks said...

What a gorgeous bookmark Pat, I love the lighthouse and the lovely colours. I used to do lot's of cross stitch too, but eyesight and arthritic hands make sewing very uncomfortable, Kate x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

What a wonderful piece of cross stitch, a gorgeous and very neat piece of work Pat. Sorry I've not visited, I hope to be more frequent in the future?
Faith x