Pages

Friday 18 November 2016

Musical Birthday

Hi all.  I needed a quick birthday card for a friend's birthday.  I thought it might be fun to use this old fashioned gramophone, although as he was born in the same year as myself, and I don't remember seeing any horn gramophones,  I'm sure he won't remember them either, but I thought it was fun with the music coming out of the horn.


For the Card I Used:

The player, music score and individual notes are from the set of freebie stamps.
Distress Inks - Peacock Feathers, Mowed Lawn, Stormy Sky and Memento Sweet Plum.
Versafine Smokey Gray Ink.
WOW Clear Embossing powder.
Spectrum Noir Dark Grey and Brown Pencils.
A mixture of Silver Mica Powder and water in a spray.
Sakura Silver Gel Pen.
XCut Numbers dies.
Britannia sentiment die.
Stick It Adhesive.
Snippet of white card.
Snippets of Silver Mirri Card.
An 8" x 8" card cut down the middle horizontally.

I started by smooshing with Peacock Feathers and Sweet Plum ink on to a snippet of white card.  When this was dry I stamped the music score stamp twice using Smokey Gray ink.  Whilst it was still wet I used the Clear EP and heat set it.  I then made a mask using a post it note and stamped the horn gramophone making the music appear to come out of it.  I then stamped the random notes and  I shaded the gramophone using the grey and brown pencils.

I decided to add some more colours into the background using the Mowed Lawn and the Stormy Sky inks and some blending foam.   I used the grey pencil to shade and ground the gramophone, and I also blended some of the Stormy Sky ink underneath it too and round the edges of the piece to draw the eye in more.  I used a mica powder spray to add some more sparkle and it also added texture where it lifted the ink.

I then die cut the numbers and the sentiment using snippets of silver mirri backed with Stick It Adhesive and stuck them in place.  As a finishing touch I used the silver pen to highlight the notes, and then stuck this finished piece to the white card base.

Thank you for looking at my blog today and I will be back again soon.







I am entering the following challenges:

Pixie's Crafty Workshop - Week 255 where we use our snippets of paper and card.
The Male Room - No. 48 Science.  (Emile Berliner invented the Gramophone in the 1890s.
Cuttlebug Mania - Music.  (I use a Grand Calibur) (Runner Up)

14 comments:

Loll said...

Such a beautiful card Pat. LOVE the colours of your smooshed background. xx

Di said...

Wonderful smooshed background and such a fabulous music themed card Pat! LOVE those stamps together, genius!

This card would also fit perfectly into the current Cuttlebug Mania challenge as you did some die cutting and the current theme is 'music'!

Hugs

Di xx

Viv said...

Love the colours of this gorgeous background Pat. A great card. x

Deborah Frings said...

This is wonderful and a lovely take on the science theme! Invention of the gramophone is one of the best, in my opinion. I think the background is lovely and that image is just fab. Thanks so much for playing along with The Male Room this week! Deborah, DT.

Jane said...

Such a wonderful combination of colours in your background - reminds me of aurora borealis. Thanks for playing at The Male Room.

Jean said...

I love the colours in your beautiful smooshed background Pat. The music theme is great for a man's card and I like the way you have combined the stamps.
Jean x

Mrs A. said...

Love the colouring of your smooshed background. Music image is a great choice for a male card. hugs Mrs A.

Janice said...

A great card for a man, and I love your background, gorgeous colours Pat.
Janice x

MaryH said...

A wonderful serene background, and it was interesting reading to discover you've sponged some more colors over the smooshing. What depth this has! Loved your masking on the phonograph too, as the music does appear to come out of the speaker. Great work on the pencil coloring too. Until I read the post, thought the sentiment was an outline sticker. That's great die cutting on the mirror paper, as it does not always cut so smoothly. Your friend will love this! TFS & Happy upcoming week. Hugs

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Beautiful card, I love the colourful, inky background. The image is fabulous. Thanks for your ongoing comments at my blog, they are appreciated. Take good care, Shirleyxx

Darnell said...

Great smooching and masking to create this fun and fabulous card for your musical friend, Pat! And thank you for all the tips you always seem to leave me with after I've visited!! Hugs, Darnell

Florence said...

Beautiful card Pat. Lovely background. Such a great tip to ground the gramophone with shading.
Hugs Flo x

Jannie said...

What a gorgeous card! Very clever!

Thank you so much for joining us at Cuttlebug Mania!

Cuttlebugs & Hugs
Jannie

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

GREAT idea to use a card using an inventor, thanks for entering your lovely card into our Science challenge at The Male Room. Faith DT