Pages

Wednesday 9 November 2016

Purple and Gold Chess

Hi there.  I was determined to enter the Less is More Challenge this week which is a colour theme using Purple and Gold.  I also had a male birthday card to make, so hey presto, I managed to combine the two.


Used on the Card:

Chocolate Baroque Art of Chess stamp.
Die-Namics Basic Stitch Lines Die. (doesn't seem to be available in the UK at the moment)
Memento Grape Jelly Ink.
Gold Mica Powder.
Britannia Sentiment Die.

I found a snippet of white card and cut it to just a little smaller than my white square base card and stamped the background chess board using the Grape Jelly ink.  I masked a bit of the stamp as I didn't want it to be too large on the card, and after stamping I used the same ink to shade the pieces on the board, and bits of the background, as you can see.  I wasn't quite sure about the colour which is rather a pinky purple, but the only other colour I had was an Adirondack Egg Plant ink and that I felt was rather dark.  I did add a bit more of the Grape Jelly using my waterbrush which darkened and shaded.

I then decided to use some gold mica on selected bits of it to incorporate the gold, and I mixed some of the mica powder on my glass mat with my waterbrush and applied it to the stamped image.  I tried taking photos from other angles to see if the gold would show up better but couldn't seem to catch it,  and the fact the light is not so good this time of year doesn't help.  In real life it is quite nice and sparkly.

I felt that it lacked something so I used the double stitched line die from the Die-Namics set round the edges of the stamped layer and adhered this to the card.  I then found a snippet of gold card on which I used Stick It adhesive, die cut the sentiment and adhered it to the finished card.

Thank you for taking a look at my blog today.  See you soon.








I am entering the following challenges:

Pixies Crafty Workshop - Week 254 where we use our snippets of card and paper etc.
Happy Little Stampers November CAS Challenge - Metal/Faux Metal.
Seize the Birthday - Anything Goes.



*Shown in the December Reader's Gallery over at Chocolate Baroque.

19 comments:

Jen Nelson said...

pat this is just so pretty. the purple works perfectly with the image. Thanks for joining us at Less Is More this week
Jen xxxx

Flo Langley said...

Beautiful card Pat. Love this image in purple.
Hugs Flo x

Viv said...

This is A-Ma-ZING Pat. Love everything about it. Simply perfect for a man.
I love the stitched die too... been meaning to treat myself to some of these stitched edged dies for a long time. x

Di said...

Super card Pat - perfect for Less is More as well! Love the chess theme for a chap - and you reminded me that I have the same, or very similar set of line dies - still unused! Bad me :(

Hugs

Di xx

Stamps and Paper said...

Lovely card Pat and an unusual image love your colours and touch of gold

Anne

Kathyk said...

This is a glorious image and looks beautiful in purple and gold.

Thank you for your visit to my blog today ... mine only LOOKS tidy because of the angle .. if you could only see the truth of the chaos!!!

Kathyk

Darnell said...

Hey, presto, you did a fabulous job combining the challenges, Pat! Your card is brilliant in purple and gold! Enjoy your day!! Hugs, Darnell

Sazzle Dazzle said...

What a brilliant use of our colour combo and a fantastic unique stamp too. Perfectly CAS and fun. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Less is More. Sarah x

Esther said...

That's a really fab stamp, Pat! I haven't seen it before, but it's so distinctive and looks great! It really suits our challenge colours of purple and gold, too. Such a super card. Thanks so much for joining us at Less is More :)

Jean said...

A great card for a man with the chess theme, I like the colour combo as well.
Jean x

Susan said...

Love that double stitched border. Lovely card. Thanks for sharing at Less is More!

Janice said...

Fantastic card Pat, great for a man and I love the purple and gold together.
Janice x

MaryH said...

This is amazing coloring! Enjoyed reading how you've improvised with your colors to get the shades that you wanted, which were perfect. Loved the gleam of the gold on the chess pieces too. The stitching at the edges of the white mat...emphasized the chess set so nicely. I have a small die rather like this, but not so large as this mat looks. It's quite elegant, and works great for a masculine card. Great work, as always. TFS & Hugs

stampwithsandy said...

What a fabulously unique card, Pat! I love the chess stamp you used, and the purple is accented perfectly by the bits of gold. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Seize the Birthday!

Aileen said...

Stunning card Pat love the use of purple and gold here.

Neets B said...

Love the extra inky touches you added to your image, together with the mica powder. Love the stitched edging too.
Thanks so much for playing along at Less is More and Happy Little Stampers, Anita x

Sarn said...

Fantastic card Pat. I really think it looks great in the purple and gold.

xxx

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

Purple and gold . . . so classy! A great combo and a fabulous design sweet friend! Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog today, it's very much appreciated! Have a great evening my friend! Hazel xx

Chrissie said...

What a pretty design with lovely colour choices too!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
Happy Little Stampers