Pages

Friday 25 November 2016

November Rudolph Days Challenge

H there everybody.  This is the last Rudolph Days Challenge for this year which is run by Mo over at Scraps of Life by Scrappymo and I have enjoyed being on the Design Team so thank you Mo for asking me.  I found a technique on Jennifer McGuire's blog which I thought I would try.  It is a technique for using versamark on your dies and dry embossing them and then heat embossing to bring out the thin lines of the die.  See how to do it here.


Used on the Card:

A freebie Marianne Creatables Bauble die, I think it came with a magazine last year.
An embossing folder from Crafters Companion called A Little Bit Nordic, this is its first outing.
Versamark Pad and Pen.
WOW Opaque White Embossing Powder.
Distress Inks - Festive Berries, Fired Brick, Mowed Lawn and Pine Needles.
A spray of Silver Mica Powder and some water.
Snippets of White and Dark Green Card.
Stick It Adhesive. 
Britannia Sentiment Die.

I started with the Distress Inks smooshed on to a snippet of white card using the water/silver mica spray which gave the finished piece a lovely shimmer, which probably doesn't show up terribly well in the photo.  I did darken the edges with extra Pine Needles using some blending foam. 

After drying with a heat tool I used some talc to dust my die and also the background before using the Versamark on the die and dry embossing it.  I then heat embossed using the white embossing powder.  I then used a Versamark pen for the thread and also heat embossed with the white powder.  I did give the whole piece a final spritz with the mica spray.  I then layered this on to a snippet of green card.

I found another snippet of white card and embossed it with the CC folder and coloured with the Mowed Lawn and Pine Needles Distress Inks.  I did have to cut it down a bit as I wanted to have a nice band of white base card showing round the edge.  I then layered this on to a snippet of green card.

I finished by layering up on to the white base card and die cutting a sentiment from a snippet of dark green card which I first covered with Stick It adhesive.

I did have one or two dry runs at the technique which takes a bit of practice but Jennifer does explain it very well and I think the result looks quite pretty.

Thank you for looking at my blog today.  I'll see you soon.






I am entering the following challenge:

Uniko Challenge No 38 - Christmas.



22 comments:

Jenny L said...

Hi Greta,
Happy Rudolf Day.
Your card is very wonderful and what a very fab technique will pop back later and take a look at Jennifer's tutorial.
Such a wonderful design and the colour are gorgeous.
It's been lovely sharing the GD with you this last few months.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Flo Langley said...

Beautiful card Pat. Great technique. Lovely effect.
Happy Weekend, Flo xx

Mrs A. said...

I love the effect your layering up of this card has and those two colours are super together. hugs Mrs A.

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Beautiful card, the embossing on the die turned out fantastic, how clever! Take good care, Shirleyxx

Kath said...

A fabulous card and a great technique - I must try this one as I love the result.
Kath x

Jean said...

A super card Pat, I love the inky background and the embossing technique looks interesting, I must go and check out the tutorial.
Jean x

Janice said...

Gorgeous card Pat, love the colours.
Janice x

Jane said...

Great technique and super colours for your background. Thanks for playing along with Uniko's Christmas challenge.

KandA said...

Really fabulous card Pat. I saw that technique and I think the result you got against the wonderful background is amazing. I've really enjoyed being a GDT with you over at the Rudolph challenge xx

TaeEun said...

The combination of dry and heat embossing using a die turned out beautifully! Love the elegant background and die cut sentiment,too!

Bonnie said...

What a beautiful bauble, Pat! Love the colors in the background!

Craftychris said...

Beautiful colours, gorgeous card and fabulous techniques! xxx

MaryH said...

We must have been channeling each other with Jennifer's technique. Your white shows up beautifully on the ornament's embossing - And of course I LOVE that background. The dies worked great to show off the technique too, BTW. As soon as I finish comment catchup, will enter my Rudy Day card. TFS & have a great week. Hugs

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

LOVE how this bauble stands out against your watercolour background Pat my friend! I saw that video by Jennifer and it is on my list of 'techniques to try' . . . it looks fantastic and one could believe it was a stamped image! Thank you for popping by my blog and leaving a sweet comment, it is much appreciated! Have a very wonderful week my friend! Hazel xx

Darnell said...

You've impressed the heck out of me doing this technique so well, Pat! It really is an extraordinary design and a wonderful use of snippets, too!! Hugs, Darnell

MaryH said...

Pat, I think the white Opaque EP shows up better in the embossing than does the copper & gold EP which I've tried so far. Also found that adding the extra c/s between the die and the c/s meant to emboss helped avoid some cutting through. I still had places that were embossed more deeply than I wished. So perhaps still need another c/s layer. I'm using a thicker emboss mat than the original that S/B first sold and embossing INTO the mat, die down which I thought might help with not so deeply embossing. Your background looks so pretty with this ornament. Hugs

KT Fit Kitty said...

I just linked up my Rudolph Day card and saw your beautiful card and had to come take a look! I remember that technique by JM but haven't tried it yet! Well done!

Liz said...

Gorgeous card, Pat. Beautiful background for the embossed bauble. I've just visited Mary's blog where she's used the same technique. I really must give this a try. xx

Deborah Frings said...

This is a fun technique and looks lovely on your card. Love the pretty background too. Thanks so much for playing along with Uniko this month. Deborah, DT.

Loll said...

Turned out beautifully Pat. I have tried Jennifer's technique, but not with the success that you got. Maybe I need to give it another try. The colours of your background are gorgeous paired with the gold embossing. xx

Lindsey said...

Wonderful background- looks like you had lots of fun creating it! X

Beverley said...

Beautiful card, love the technique you've used and the pretty colours. Thanks so much for joining in on the Uniko Challenge. My apologies for my late comment. Hugs Bev x